Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Grinder wheel attachment for old grinder

Zootal wrote:
I have an old grinder. It is a Dunlap sold by Sears, I'm guessing in the 60s
or 70s. It is essentially a 1/3 horse electric motor with a 1/2 shaft
sticking out each end. Attached to each shaft is an attachment that is
female 1/2 inch on one end, such that it slides over the motor shaft and is
held in place with a set screw. The other end is a threaded 1/2 stud with
nut that you slide a grinding wheel (or whatever) on it and secure with nut.
Any wheel or brush or whatever with a 1/2 hole will fit on this.

I need one of these attachments. I've been to hardware and auto part stores,
and no one that I've found so far has any clue where I can find one of
these. Does anyone have any idea where I can find such an attachment?

Look in Yellow Pages for 'electric motor repair'. Or call a furnace
company and ask where they take their blower motors for repair or
swapout. Furnaces, air handlers, table saws, etc- the motors are all
pretty similar. The motor shop will have or know where to get all sorts
of doo-dads to adapt shafts as needed. If there is an industrial park in
your town, one of the buildings there is probably an industrial parts
supply house- they will also likely have it. As would a farm equipment
store, or a more rural ma'n'pa hardware store. A modern civilian big-box
place has no interest in selling repair parts- they want to sell you a
new grinder instead.

aem sends...