Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Grinder wheel attachment for old grinder

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 21:44:40 -0800, "Zootal"
wrote:

I have an old grinder. It is a Dunlap sold by Sears, I'm guessing in the
60s
or 70s. It is essentially a 1/3 horse electric motor with a 1/2 shaft
sticking out each end. Attached to each shaft is an attachment that is
female 1/2 inch on one end, such that it slides over the motor shaft and
is
held in place with a set screw. The other end is a threaded 1/2 stud with
nut that you slide a grinding wheel (or whatever) on it and secure with
nut.
Any wheel or brush or whatever with a 1/2 hole will fit on this.

I need one of these attachments. I've been to hardware and auto part
stores,
and no one that I've found so far has any clue where I can find one of
these. Does anyone have any idea where I can find such an attachment?

Bought both grinding wheel and wire wheel at Home Depot a few years
back.

They do have wheels, but they don't carry arbors that big. All they have
today is arbors for small hand tools.

What is amazing is how many hardware stores I walk into, show them the arbor
I have, and have them stare at it like it came from another planet.