Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Redneck lathe v2.0

Finally, the finished product:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/

Hardly a lathe, but calling it "the spinning wobbly thing that cleans up the
edges" seemed less catchy.
Thanks to all who provided helpful suggestions.

For my next project I shall convert base metal into gold...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
Finally, the finished product:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/

Hardly a lathe, but calling it "the spinning wobbly thing that cleans up
the edges" seemed less catchy.
Thanks to all who provided helpful suggestions.

For my next project I shall convert base metal into gold...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I admire your ingenuity and think you came up with a tool well suited to do
the job. Congratulations!

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:33:00 -0700, the infamous "Michael Koblic"
scrawled the following:

Finally, the finished product:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/

Hardly a lathe, but calling it "the spinning wobbly thing that cleans up the
edges" seemed less catchy.

Oui, boot eet eez quite derogatory to zee word "lathe", non?

I like your caption for the 001 sheath: "This was a custom made knife.
I did not like the sheath carry and adapted it for IWB. Not
recommended for obese pople who bleed easily!"

Finally, TRUTH in advertising!

For my next project I shall convert base metal into gold...

Got my address? I'd love some!

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:33:00 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

Finally, the finished product:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/

Hardly a lathe, but calling it "the spinning wobbly thing that cleans up the
edges" seemed less catchy.
Thanks to all who provided helpful suggestions.

Hey! You have made a device that does what you want done and it didn't
cost more than a couple of beers, and that, my friend, is one of the
major joys of life!
For my next project I shall convert base metal into gold...

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 3:33*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Finally, the finished product:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/

Hardly a lathe, but calling it "the spinning wobbly thing that cleans up the
edges" seemed less catchy.
Thanks to all who provided helpful suggestions.

For my next project I shall convert base metal into gold...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Nice work. Do you know of any websites on making Aquitaine Sundial
rings?
Thanks
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 9:33*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Finally, the finished product:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27683124@N07/

Very Nice! You went with the potter's wheel. At the contact angle in
the photo it looks like the sanding disk should spin the wheel.
If not you could put a few BBs under the end of the shaft as a thrust
bearing.

My home made fixtures aren't nearly as pretty.
You can probably find oilite bronze sleeve bearings in hardware stores
although the copper ones should last quite a while. Spray-can chain
lube works pretty well to relube them.

For my next project I shall convert base metal into gold...
Michael Koblic

Too late. Aircraft makers already do that with aluminum.
For years fighters cost $1000 per pound.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
Hey! You have made a device that does what you want done and it didn't
cost more than a couple of beers, and that, my friend, is one of the
major joys of life!

*Two* beers?? Does it look that expensive?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

Nice work. Do you know of any websites on making Aquitaine Sundial
rings?

***Thank you. I have not seen any sites of that nature. Are you interested
in the design (mathematics) of it or detailed instruction (workshop)? There
is a good design program available on the net by Francois Blateyron called
"Shadows". I have the free version which definitely does not cover the
rings. The Shadows Pro might and is well worth investigating
(www.shadowspro.com).

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Very Nice! You went with the potter's wheel. At the contact angle in
the photo it looks like the sanding disk should spin the wheel.
If not you could put a few BBs under the end of the shaft as a thrust
bearing.

***Never thought of that! Finally good use for the spent Airsoft ammo.

My home made fixtures aren't nearly as pretty.
You can probably find oilite bronze sleeve bearings in hardware stores
although the copper ones should last quite a while. Spray-can chain
lube works pretty well to relube them.

***In the same photo-set there is a AVI clip of the thing working. It turns!
I looked at "proper" bronze bearings but they cost whole $2 each! I resented
spending $5 on the locknuts...

For my next project I shall convert base metal into gold...
Michael Koblic

Too late. Aircraft makers already do that with aluminum.
For years fighters cost $1000 per pound.

***I shall stick with my set-screw portfolio...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 21, 2:19*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
wrote in message

Nice work. Do you know of any websites on making AquitaineSundial
rings?

***Thank you. I have not seen any sites of that nature. Are you interested
in the design (mathematics) of it or detailed instruction (workshop)? There
is a good design program available on the net by Francois Blateyron called
"Shadows". I have the free version which definitely does not cover the
rings. The Shadows Pro might and is well worth investigating
(www.shadowspro.com).

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I'd like to make one or more adjusted to my latitude (Honolulu)
http://www.dglenn.org/events/pennsic/ringdial.html
has plans for one but it's designed for the SCA's Pennsic location
(North western Pennsylvania)
I'd actually like to make smaller one's and 3-6 inch one's as
decorative hangings that are actually useful.
Thanks for the info
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 23, 8:16*am, " wrote:
I'd actually like to make smaller one's and *3-6 inch one's as
decorative hangings that are actually useful.
Thanks for the info
Karl-

A portable sundial with GPS and gyros hidden in the base to keep it
pointed North.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 23, 3:54*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Oct 23, 8:16*am, " wrote:

I'd actually like to make smaller one's and *3-6 inch one's as
decorative hangings that are actually useful.
Thanks for the info
Karl-

A portable sundial with GPS and gyros hidden in the base to keep it
pointed North.

Don't forget the automatic adjuster for daylight savings time. Don't
need it here but what if I gave gifts to the mainland?