Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default JT33

Let' say that you have a spindle with a JT33 *male* taper. It will take a
chuck (duh!)

What if you want to use it to hold an end mill - are there attachments that
would do that (the spindle is *not * hollow so drawbars etc are out)? What
about other attachments - could you, for instance, make it to take a pulley?

I have seen one person who drilled and bored a hole in the spindle to mount
6 mm end-mills but that seems like cheating :-)

It seems to me that anything not held on by a drawbar or other means is
going to get ripped off the spindle while milling but I do not know enough
about this to say with any certainty.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 15, 7:09*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Let' say that you have a spindle with a JT33 *male* taper. It will take a
chuck (duh!)

What if you want to use it to hold an end mill - are there attachments that
would do that (the spindle is *not * hollow so drawbars etc are out)? What
about other attachments - could you, for instance, make it to take a pulley?

I have seen one person who drilled and bored a hole in the spindle to mount
6 mm end-mills but that seems like cheating *:-)

It seems to me that anything not held on by a drawbar or other means is
going to get ripped off the spindle while milling but I do not know enough
about this to say with any certainty.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

You're right to be wary and the need for a drawbar (or something to
lock in a collet/end mill). This topic often comes up on RCM when
people want to use drill presses as milling machines. Many drill
presses use Morse tapers to hold drill chucks in the spindle. When
the chuck on such a drill press is side loaded, it can become unseated
and cause injury when it spins out of control. If you look through
the RCM archives for "taper + side + loads", you will find many
discussions with warnings advising against this.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 15, 8:09 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Let' say that you have a spindle with a JT33 *male* taper. It will take a
chuck (duh!)

What if you want to use it to hold an end mill - are there attachments that
would do that (the spindle is *not * hollow so drawbars etc are out)? What
about other attachments - could you, for instance, make it to take a pulley?

I have seen one person who drilled and bored a hole in the spindle to mount
6 mm end-mills but that seems like cheating :-)

It seems to me that anything not held on by a drawbar or other means is
going to get ripped off the spindle while milling but I do not know enough
about this to say with any certainty.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

The problem with milling in a drill press is not only one of the chuck
getting loose, as this could be fixed with a retaining screw as on
reversing drills. This might work for very light milling.

A greater difficulty is that on most drill presses the bottom spindle
bearing (nearest the chuck) is designed primarily for end-loading, ie.
thrust from drilling. Side loading from milling may very well cause
chattering or rattling of the spindle/endmill, depending on type of
bearing.

If space or budget is a problem the most satisfactory solution is
probably a post-type mill since these are now quite inexpensive.
These will drill very well and are not too shabby for milling, if the
loss of registry during head elevation change is acceptable. On these
machines the quill is adjusted to depth-feed the cutter; typical
quill feed range is 5" or so, any more would require head elevation
change.

This issue has been debated at great length in this group and the
general consensus has been "don't do it!"

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
The problem with milling in a drill press is not only one of the chuck
getting loose, as this could be fixed with a retaining screw as on
reversing drills. This might work for very light milling.

A greater difficulty is that on most drill presses the bottom spindle
bearing (nearest the chuck) is designed primarily for end-loading, ie.
thrust from drilling. Side loading from milling may very well cause
chattering or rattling of the spindle/endmill, depending on type of
bearing.

I got that but it is a separate issue.
FWIW the same person solved (?) this problem by changing the bearings in his
drill press. However, the details are sketchy at best.

Right now I am purely trying to determine what the JT33 will support. Right
now the only thing I am coming up with is to stick a JT33 chuck on it, chuck
a round stick in it and put a pulley on that stick. That way one could drive
other weird and wonderful contraptions but it seems inelegant and
"umstandlich" (the Germans often have a better vocabulary as well as
engineers :-).

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:05:31 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Why not just put the pulley on a spare motor? or do you have a
fascination with Rube Goldberg?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
Let' say that you have a spindle with a JT33 *male* taper. It will take a
chuck (duh!)

What if you want to use it to hold an end mill - are there attachments that
would do that (the spindle is *not * hollow so drawbars etc are out)? What
about other attachments - could you, for instance, make it to take a pulley?

I have seen one person who drilled and bored a hole in the spindle to mount
6 mm end-mills but that seems like cheating :-)

It seems to me that anything not held on by a drawbar or other means is
going to get ripped off the spindle while milling but I do not know enough
about this to say with any certainty.

As a guess, I'd say any spindle that dosent have a through
hole isn't intended to take a milling cutter. Are we back to
"milling on a drillpress" again????
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What about other attachments - could you, for instance,
make it to take a pulley?

Open the top cover and use a 2nd belt in one of the other grooves on
the front drive pulley?
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

Open the top cover and use a 2nd belt in one of the other grooves on
the front drive pulley?
--Glenn Lyford

Of course! Once a simple solution is pointed out it seems - simple :-)
I shall certainly look at it with that aspect in mind. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message

Why not just put the pulley on a spare motor? or do you have a
fascination with Rube Goldberg?

Why did *he* build a Time Machine? No, I am more Jara (da) Cimrman person
(you gotta be a Czech to get that one, sorry, see here for further
reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A1ra_Cimrman )

Seriously, though (why now, says he...?), I like the fact that I have a
motor and a bunch of pulleys all in a neat package giving me the ability to
change speeds without having to re-do the whole thing.

I know I must not use it for milling 'cos that would be bad...:-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:13:24 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
.. .

Why not just put the pulley on a spare motor? or do you have a
fascination with Rube Goldberg?

Why did *he* build a Time Machine? No, I am more Jara (da) Cimrman person
(you gotta be a Czech to get that one, sorry, see here for further
reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A1ra_Cimrman )

Seriously, though (why now, says he...?), I like the fact that I have a
motor and a bunch of pulleys all in a neat package giving me the ability to
change speeds without having to re-do the whole thing.

I know I must not use it for milling 'cos that would be bad...:-)

From Wikipedia - "A Rube Goldberg machine is a deliberately
overengineered apparatus that performs a very simple task in a very
indirect and convoluted fashion"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message

From Wikipedia - "A Rube Goldberg machine is a deliberately
overengineered apparatus that performs a very simple task in a very
indirect and convoluted fashion"

If you drop the word "deliberately" the description is probably accurate.
"Deliberately" would imply some sort of intent based on knowledge which I do
not possess :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:30:20 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
.. .

From Wikipedia - "A Rube Goldberg machine is a deliberately
overengineered apparatus that performs a very simple task in a very
indirect and convoluted fashion"

If you drop the word "deliberately" the description is probably accurate.
"Deliberately" would imply some sort of intent based on knowledge which I do
not possess :-)

Instinct???
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada