Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default JT33

wrote in message
The problem with milling in a drill press is not only one of the chuck
getting loose, as this could be fixed with a retaining screw as on
reversing drills. This might work for very light milling.

A greater difficulty is that on most drill presses the bottom spindle
bearing (nearest the chuck) is designed primarily for end-loading, ie.
thrust from drilling. Side loading from milling may very well cause
chattering or rattling of the spindle/endmill, depending on type of
bearing.

I got that but it is a separate issue.
FWIW the same person solved (?) this problem by changing the bearings in his
drill press. However, the details are sketchy at best.

Right now I am purely trying to determine what the JT33 will support. Right
now the only thing I am coming up with is to stick a JT33 chuck on it, chuck
a round stick in it and put a pulley on that stick. That way one could drive
other weird and wonderful contraptions but it seems inelegant and
"umstandlich" (the Germans often have a better vocabulary as well as
engineers :-).

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC