Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G. Denis G. is offline

Default JT33

On Oct 15, 7:09*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Let' say that you have a spindle with a JT33 *male* taper. It will take a
chuck (duh!)

What if you want to use it to hold an end mill - are there attachments that
would do that (the spindle is *not * hollow so drawbars etc are out)? What
about other attachments - could you, for instance, make it to take a pulley?

I have seen one person who drilled and bored a hole in the spindle to mount
6 mm end-mills but that seems like cheating *:-)

It seems to me that anything not held on by a drawbar or other means is
going to get ripped off the spindle while milling but I do not know enough
about this to say with any certainty.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

You're right to be wary and the need for a drawbar (or something to
lock in a collet/end mill). This topic often comes up on RCM when
people want to use drill presses as milling machines. Many drill
presses use Morse tapers to hold drill chucks in the spindle. When
the chuck on such a drill press is side loaded, it can become unseated
and cause injury when it spins out of control. If you look through
the RCM archives for "taper + side + loads", you will find many
discussions with warnings advising against this.