Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Blacksmithing Vise Repair

I have a blacksmithing vise that is in need of repair. The screw box is
loose in the hole in the post. I don't quite know how to go about
repairing it. Should I try to make a sleeve or should I try to build up
the hole in the post with welding rod? Or is there a better way? It has
5 1/2 inch jaws. The post is 41 inches long to the top of the jaws.

The screw box looks to be in good shape. I could post pictures if it
would help. But it is just like the one toward the bottom of the page,
all apart, where it says parts, on this site.

http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/vises.htm

Don

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 15:00:56 -0700, the infamous Don Murray
scrawled the following:

I have a blacksmithing vise that is in need of repair. The screw box is
loose in the hole in the post. I don't quite know how to go about
repairing it. Should I try to make a sleeve or should I try to build up
the hole in the post with welding rod? Or is there a better way? It has
5 1/2 inch jaws. The post is 41 inches long to the top of the jaws.

I'd probably try to build up the hole in the post. You might even be
able to find a rotary grinding cone to fit which would ease the mating
ritual at the end.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Murray wrote:
I have a blacksmithing vise that is in need of repair. The screw box is
loose in the hole in the post. I don't quite know how to go about
repairing it. Should I try to make a sleeve or should I try to build up
the hole in the post with welding rod? Or is there a better way? It has
5 1/2 inch jaws. The post is 41 inches long to the top of the jaws.

The screw box looks to be in good shape. I could post pictures if it
would help. But it is just like the one toward the bottom of the page,
all apart, where it says parts, on this site.

http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/vises.htm

Don

If you look at the gometry of the opening of a leg vice, its not a
parrallel action like an engineers bench vice.
there has to be clearance? of looseness wether in the screw box or the
screw, where they go throgh the 2 vice arms.
If they were a tight fit, they wouldnt open!!.
Itsnormal forthe play or clearance to be in the screw hole in the hinged
`jaw.
However if it works ok, dont mess with it, nor build itup with weld.
these vices other than the`very latest made are wrought iron not steel,
which doesnt arc weld well.
If theres a lot of play use some sheet iron to act as a `sleeve.
If theres a chance of further info as to the amount of loosness? do
let us `know.
Ted Frater
Leg vice collector amongst other things!
Dorset UK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 6, 6:00*pm, Don Murray wrote:
I have a blacksmithing vise that is in need of repair. The screw box is
loose in the hole in the post. I don't quite know how to go about
repairing it. Should I try to make a sleeve or should I try to build up
the hole in the post with welding rod? ...
Don

I vote for sleeving it rather than welding on the theory that some day
it may become a valuable antique.