Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Murray Don Murray is offline

Default Blacksmithing Vise Repair

I have a blacksmithing vise that is in need of repair. The screw box is
loose in the hole in the post. I don't quite know how to go about
repairing it. Should I try to make a sleeve or should I try to build up
the hole in the post with welding rod? Or is there a better way? It has
5 1/2 inch jaws. The post is 41 inches long to the top of the jaws.

The screw box looks to be in good shape. I could post pictures if it
would help. But it is just like the one toward the bottom of the page,
all apart, where it says parts, on this site.

http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/vises.htm

Don