Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "heating rod" for an arc welder

looking to heat up a pretty big chunk of steel, preferably near (or
maybe even "at") red. my oxi-acet gas bottles are near empty. rather do
it electrically than get the bottles filled. I have an old miller
dialarc HF welder. what to use for the 'electrode' (heating rod,
really)? I'm hoping for "minimal if any metal transfer" in the process...

how about just a piece of quarter-inch diameter round cold-rolled? was
also thinking about maybe just a bare tig tunsten held in the stinger,
using AC "cranked up high" - anybody ever tried that?

sidenote: my old dialarc, recently aquired, is "known to function well"
(my tests, with rods) on all its' AC and DC settings, but I haven't yet
ever tried any of the TIG functions. it was an ebay buy

"offloading the dialarc singlehandedly" site:
http://machines.freehostia.com/diala...ng/index3.html

thanks for insights and brain flash ideas, guys,

toolie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dave wrote:
looking to heat up a pretty big chunk of steel, ...

Carbon arc torch. Lincoln makes one. Here's one in VT:
http://burlington.craigslist.org/tls/857638504.html

Bob
---
Nota for President
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dave wrote:

[...]

I just got one really a lot like that. Hope you got the pedal, they're hard
to find and really expensive (like $300). I found that Rustoleum Deep Blue
paint (sold at Grainger, part no. 2FP62), color no. V2125, is a pretty good
match. Not that I'm saying your welder needs paint! Good job sliding that
500 pound beast out of the back and dismounting it onto a cart. Lot easier
if you have an engine hoist, cheap to rent for a day.

You might find this interesting:
http://www.tinyisland.com/DialArc%20HF%20Cart/index.htm

I would take a crack at answering your question but when you say "pretty big
chunk of steel" I'm thinking of something about the size of a big bathtub,
and I don't think that's what you mean. :-)

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why not just build a nice BBQ pile, pump it up and toss it on? Don't
know about what the carbon infusion might do for your flavor of steel.
JR
Dwellewr in the cellar

dave wrote:
[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-03, dave wrote:

"offloading the dialarc singlehandedly" site:
http://machines.freehostia.com/diala...ng/index3.html

thanks for insights and brain flash ideas, guys,

you need this:

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

Carbon arc torches are neat, but put out a lot of UV, AND you have to be
aware of the duty cycle at a given amperage -- usually max 20%.

The Lincoln 225's were especially suited for carbon arcs, because at the 75
amp setting, they had a 100% duty cycle, used for resistive type heating on
farms during frost, etc.

BBQ'g the piece is a very good idea, as preheating *always* helps welding.

But, if the material is thick enough or big enough, even a carbon arc torch
might be spotty, and the best way is to use "rosebud tips" with O/A.
They put out *boucou* heat, way more than any O/A welding tip or cutting
torch.
Not recommended with B-tanks, however, and some advise flashback arrestors
in both lines of the torch handle. Not that expensive, either the rosebuds
or the arrestors.
You certainly will need to fill yer tanks for a rosebud!

There's also an ice-melting/asphalt melting torch that works with propane,
iirc.

That's one big-assed welder you got! Be inneresting to know if you were
able to fix the oomph problem.

--
DT

toolie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:15:27 -0400, dave
wrote:

[...]

DO NOT use the welder!

You will let out the magic smoke and then that nice old welder will be
a big heavy doorstop.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:15:27 -0400, dave wrote:

looking to heat up a pretty big chunk of steel, preferably near (or
maybe even "at") red. my oxi-acet gas bottles are near empty. rather do
it electrically than get the bottles filled. I have an old miller
dialarc HF welder. what to use for the 'electrode' (heating rod,
really)? I'm hoping for "minimal if any metal transfer" in the process...

You are heating a "pretty big" chunk of steel to near or at red heat. Use
firebricks or ceramic fibre to surround it and reflect the heat back and a
propane torch to heat it. Acetylene or arc heating is like towing a camper van
with a Funny Car.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 00:34:33 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:15:27 -0400, dave wrote:

looking to heat up a pretty big chunk of steel, preferably near (or
maybe even "at") red. my oxi-acet gas bottles are near empty. rather do
it electrically than get the bottles filled. I have an old miller
dialarc HF welder. what to use for the 'electrode' (heating rod,
really)? I'm hoping for "minimal if any metal transfer" in the process...

You are heating a "pretty big" chunk of steel to near or at red heat. Use
firebricks or ceramic fibre to surround it and reflect the heat back and a
propane torch to heat it. Acetylene or arc heating is like towing a camper van
with a Funny Car.

Mark Rand
RTFM

This is what he really needs

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:56:14 -0500, Ignoramus26581

On 2008-10-03, dave wrote:

"offloading the dialarc singlehandedly" site:
http://machines.freehostia.com/diala...ng/index3.html

thanks for insights and brain flash ideas, guys,

you need this:

He needed it.

Now he needs the HF propane Weed Burner. The cheapest way I know to
heat up a Big Chunk O Metal to red hot and not have to build a blazing
bonfire

Gunner