Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lincoln "Tombstone" welder question

I've taken the metal housing off the welder so that I can paint it prior to
sale. (20± years old, total on time, less than 1 hours). I moved on to mig
and tig shortly after buying this unit. It is the AC and DC± 225 amp
version.
Two questions:
1) I passed the cables through the housing and need to know which is which.
The electrical diagram shows a "work" cable and an "electrode" cable. Can I
assume that the "work" cable is in reality what most people call the
"ground" cable. It is the shortest of the two.
2) In selling this, I don't think I will get much extra money for the extra
length leads that I have attached to this machine. Total reach is 50 feet.
I called my welding supply place and they told me that 60 feet of cable (30
feet for each leg) would cost $230!!! Yikes!!! The connectors would add
another $25± to the cost. So you see, this unit will probably sell for
about $150 max but I don't want to give away the extra leads. How would you
guys market this? (I'm going to use Craigslist). With the extension leads?
List them as an optional extra? Or should I simply keep the leads and use
them on my tig?

All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

I've taken the metal housing off the welder so that I can paint it prior to
sale. (20± years old, total on time, less than 1 hours). I moved on to mig
and tig shortly after buying this unit. It is the AC and DC± 225 amp
version.
Two questions:
1) I passed the cables through the housing and need to know which is which.
The electrical diagram shows a "work" cable and an "electrode" cable. Can I
assume that the "work" cable is in reality what most people call the
"ground" cable. It is the shortest of the two.

Yes, that is correct.

2) In selling this, I don't think I will get much extra money for the extra
length leads that I have attached to this machine. Total reach is 50 feet.
I called my welding supply place and they told me that 60 feet of cable (30
feet for each leg) would cost $230!!! Yikes!!! The connectors would add
another $25± to the cost. So you see, this unit will probably sell for
about $150 max but I don't want to give away the extra leads. How would you
guys market this? (I'm going to use Craigslist). With the extension leads?
List them as an optional extra? Or should I simply keep the leads and use
them on my tig?

These welders came with permanently mounted cables - no connectors. The
'work' lead was about 10 feet, the 'electrode' lead was 15.

I'd cut them back to the 'factory' length and keep the extra cable for
your future welder repair/extension.etc.

You won't get back the value of longer cables when selling the machine -
why give away valuable copper that you'll have to buy again when you
need longer leads yourself?

Carla

All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Agreed. You are almost better off getting a new short lead, keeping the
long lengths intact. The stock ones are #4 IIRC.

Carla Fong wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

Craigslist). With the extension leads? List them as an optional
extra? Or should I simply keep the leads and use them on my tig?