Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary Ivan Vegvary is offline

Default Lincoln "Tombstone" welder question

I've taken the metal housing off the welder so that I can paint it prior to
sale. (20± years old, total on time, less than 1 hours). I moved on to mig
and tig shortly after buying this unit. It is the AC and DC± 225 amp
version.
Two questions:
1) I passed the cables through the housing and need to know which is which.
The electrical diagram shows a "work" cable and an "electrode" cable. Can I
assume that the "work" cable is in reality what most people call the
"ground" cable. It is the shortest of the two.
2) In selling this, I don't think I will get much extra money for the extra
length leads that I have attached to this machine. Total reach is 50 feet.
I called my welding supply place and they told me that 60 feet of cable (30
feet for each leg) would cost $230!!! Yikes!!! The connectors would add
another $25± to the cost. So you see, this unit will probably sell for
about $150 max but I don't want to give away the extra leads. How would you
guys market this? (I'm going to use Craigslist). With the extension leads?
List them as an optional extra? Or should I simply keep the leads and use
them on my tig?

All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary