Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default "heating rod" for an arc welder

Why not just build a nice BBQ pile, pump it up and toss it on? Don't
know about what the carbon infusion might do for your flavor of steel.
JR
Dwellewr in the cellar

dave wrote:
looking to heat up a pretty big chunk of steel, preferably near (or
maybe even "at") red. my oxi-acet gas bottles are near empty. rather do
it electrically than get the bottles filled. I have an old miller
dialarc HF welder. what to use for the 'electrode' (heating rod,
really)? I'm hoping for "minimal if any metal transfer" in the process...

how about just a piece of quarter-inch diameter round cold-rolled? was
also thinking about maybe just a bare tig tunsten held in the stinger,
using AC "cranked up high" - anybody ever tried that?

sidenote: my old dialarc, recently aquired, is "known to function well"
(my tests, with rods) on all its' AC and DC settings, but I haven't yet
ever tried any of the TIG functions. it was an ebay buy

"offloading the dialarc singlehandedly" site:
http://machines.freehostia.com/diala...ng/index3.html

thanks for insights and brain flash ideas, guys,

toolie

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"