Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "heating rod" for an arc welder

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 00:34:33 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:15:27 -0400, dave wrote:

looking to heat up a pretty big chunk of steel, preferably near (or
maybe even "at") red. my oxi-acet gas bottles are near empty. rather do
it electrically than get the bottles filled. I have an old miller
dialarc HF welder. what to use for the 'electrode' (heating rod,
really)? I'm hoping for "minimal if any metal transfer" in the process...

You are heating a "pretty big" chunk of steel to near or at red heat. Use
firebricks or ceramic fibre to surround it and reflect the heat back and a
propane torch to heat it. Acetylene or arc heating is like towing a camper van
with a Funny Car.

Mark Rand
RTFM

This is what he really needs

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich