Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Gun Problem

On 2008-09-29, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper wrote:

I hope I'm not gonna have to fix this problem.

I bought this chick gun as I call it a couple of years ago I guess. It
is a Model 60 (I think) S&W .357 Mag. 5 shot. The other day I shot it
with another for the first time and this thing shoots 1.5' low @ maybe
200'. It has one of those like fiber optic plastic end sights and
wondering if I have to have the bottom of the big red dot above the
"rail".

The book and box are deep in storage. Am I gonna have to send this
thing back to the factory? The S&W site I tryed e-mailing before I
bought it was no help. How, do I go about fixing this problem. I'm
thinking it is just us, but I know how to shoot a gun and it is 1.5
feet low.

I've asked around here and all I get is "what ammo? and doesn't sound
good". BTW 120 g. Oh, seems to have excessive side shrapnel, I had to
stand back further than I thought when the other shot it.

Hmm ... is it shaving lead when going from the cylinder to the
barrel? If so, then it sounds as though cylinder alignment is not quite
right among other things. Not sure whether this would lead to 1.5 foot
drop, however. But it would slow the bullet down noticeably, and those
5-shot guns tend to have rather short barrels for ease of concealment,
so the "what ammo" question I consider meaningful. A quick-burning
powder which would get mostly burnt before the bullet exited the little
2" barrel would get a lot more muzzle velocity than one with a
slower-burning powder in the same barrel -- even though the
slower-burning powder might well get more muzzle velocity in a 6" or 8"
barrel.

So -- if you have a combination of muzzle velocity loss from the
wrong powder and from serious lead shaving going from cylinder to
barrel, then you might be slow enough for the 1.5 foot drop to be
reasonable.

And -- I'm not sure that something with that short a barrel
makes sense to be using at 200 feet. I've seen that kind of drop in a
..38 special with a similarly short barrel in 100 feet.

I don't know what to do. Write snail mail to S&W, or call those bone
heads where I bought it. The latter might be fun.

Since I'm on guns. I can't get a .22 rifle up here and I'd like to
taste a goose for the first time before they all leave south like I
should be doing. LOL. What is the deal? I have two registered guns and
can't buy a pop gun.

Where is "up here"? Sounds like someplace to avoid to me. :-)

Suppose I'll have to wait and give a DNA sample
to get a shot gun to shoot partridge.

:-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30 Sep 2008 04:06:25 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2008-09-29, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper wrote:

[...]

No ****. Something is wrong up here. Like I moved to a different
country. Weird is all I can say. Took me 2 months to get a drivers
licence. And now can't get a new gun. It has been a month or more and
the gun shop is still holding the gun and I feel bad to inadvertently
stringing them along, as I see it.

Up here , is north country. I swore I would never do winter like this
kind, ever, again. All I need is a .22 rifle and a shot gun with my
SKS and pocket gun, but they don't seem to realize that I protected 40
judges and never hurt a one.

Hey, they have big turkeys up here and I hear ya have to shoot them
200' from the road. I'm like , I'll bring a landscape tape measure and
shoo them off in the woods to take a head shot. Probably have to shoot
them with a shot gun and full of pellets to make it legal.

O well , what else is new.