Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New pictures -- cold saw works -- blade question

The good news is that this three phase, baby 10" cold saw works.

I moved the page and added some pictures of it cleaned up and
running.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brob...Baby-Cold-Saw/

It did not pump coolant at first, but started pumping as soon as I
primed it. The saw, also, cuts metal just fine (1 1/4" square tubing)
with the coolant flowing and neatly returning back to the coolant
drain.

What bothers me is that as it cuts, sometimes it makes a screeching
sound, which makes me suspect that the blae is dull. So, any owners of
cold saws out there, what would be a sign of a dull blade vs. a sharp
blade?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11196" wrote in message
The good news is that this three phase, baby 10" cold saw works.

I moved the page and added some pictures of it cleaned up and
running.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brob...Baby-Cold-Saw/

It did not pump coolant at first, but started pumping as soon as I
primed it. The saw, also, cuts metal just fine (1 1/4" square tubing)
with the coolant flowing and neatly returning back to the coolant
drain.

What bothers me is that as it cuts, sometimes it makes a screeching
sound, which makes me suspect that the blae is dull. So, any owners of
cold saws out there, what would be a sign of a dull blade vs. a sharp
blade?

And the last line reads: "But it is smaller than most cold saws. It weighs
about 150 lbs, which means that I can easily carry it around. "

Are you bragging or complaining?

Flash

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-28, Flash wrote:

[...]

I was describing the saw. Being able to carry 150 lbs saw, is not much to
brag about.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Flash wrote:
(...)

And the last line reads: "But it is smaller than most cold saws. It weighs
about 150 lbs, which means that I can easily carry it around. "

Look closely, Flash.

He lined through the word 'easily'.

"... It weighs about 150 lbs, which means that I can ------ carry it around."

You funny, Iggy.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would imagine the shriek sound to be the blade revolving on the hub whilst
cutting (slipping), a dull blade just requires more pressure and time to
make a cut.
from Bri a happy owner of an omes three phase coldsaw.

"Ignoramus11196" wrote in message
The good news is that this three phase, baby 10" cold saw works.

I moved the page and added some pictures of it cleaned up and
running.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brob...Baby-Cold-Saw/

It did not pump coolant at first, but started pumping as soon as I
primed it. The saw, also, cuts metal just fine (1 1/4" square tubing)
with the coolant flowing and neatly returning back to the coolant
drain.

What bothers me is that as it cuts, sometimes it makes a screeching
sound, which makes me suspect that the blae is dull. So, any owners of
cold saws out there, what would be a sign of a dull blade vs. a sharp
blade?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11196 wrote:

What bothers me is that as it cuts, sometimes it makes a screeching
sound, which makes me suspect that the blae is dull. So, any owners of
cold saws out there, what would be a sign of a dull blade vs. a sharp
blade?

Harmonics.

Even with a freshly sharpened blade, if you get the wrong combination of
cross-section vs speed vs pressure vs number of teeth in contact vs phase of
the moon, then it will screech.

Try pulling down harder - really. (Although I would not do that if the
tubing is thin-walled)

Does it screech when you cut heavy bar stock?
(Might just be a woman)

Ours doesn't screech any more or less as it gets blunt - it just stops
cutting.
....but when its sharp... Best thing since sliced bread. Love it. Mirror
finish, dead straight, no sparks, very fast.

Good find, Ig.

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:46:39 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Flash wrote:
(...)

And the last line reads: "But it is smaller than most cold saws. It weighs
about 150 lbs, which means that I can easily carry it around. "

Look closely, Flash.

He lined through the word 'easily'.

"... It weighs about 150 lbs, which means that I can ------ carry it around."

Perhaps you've forgotten that Iggy has steel biceps, as shown in this
barenaked shot on his website: http://tinyurl.com/4jn5z4

You funny, Iggy.

You sound -just- like Short Round there, Winnie.

-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-28, brian wrote:
I would imagine the shriek sound to be the blade revolving on the hub whilst
cutting (slipping), a dull blade just requires more pressure and time to
make a cut.
from Bri a happy owner of an omes three phase coldsaw.

I thought the blade attaches to the hub and then is fixed with several
bolts?

"Ignoramus11196" wrote in message
The good news is that this three phase, baby 10" cold saw works.

I moved the page and added some pictures of it cleaned up and
running.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brob...Baby-Cold-Saw/

It did not pump coolant at first, but started pumping as soon as I
primed it. The saw, also, cuts metal just fine (1 1/4" square tubing)
with the coolant flowing and neatly returning back to the coolant
drain.

What bothers me is that as it cuts, sometimes it makes a screeching
sound, which makes me suspect that the blae is dull. So, any owners of
cold saws out there, what would be a sign of a dull blade vs. a sharp
blade?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-28, Jeff R. wrote:
Ignoramus11196 wrote:

What bothers me is that as it cuts, sometimes it makes a screeching
sound, which makes me suspect that the blae is dull. So, any owners of
cold saws out there, what would be a sign of a dull blade vs. a sharp
blade?

Harmonics.

Even with a freshly sharpened blade, if you get the wrong combination of
cross-section vs speed vs pressure vs number of teeth in contact vs phase of
the moon, then it will screech.

Try pulling down harder - really. (Although I would not do that if the
tubing is thin-walled)

Does it screech when you cut heavy bar stock?
(Might just be a woman)

I will try some more cutting today and report.

Ours doesn't screech any more or less as it gets blunt - it just stops
cutting.
...but when its sharp... Best thing since sliced bread. Love it. Mirror
finish, dead straight, no sparks, very fast.

I think that mine is sharp, then, as it cuts quickly. I agree on the
above points, but for me, other advantages are that it is not as loud,
and does not make the shop dirty from dust. I am very happy with this
saw so far.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 28, 12:15*am, Ignoramus11196 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11196.invalid wrote:
The good news is that this three phase, baby 10" cold saw works.

Man that is a nice piece of equipment! I've always wanted to own
one. Oh well I guess I'll be bandsawing and milling until one comes
my way.
Seriously, Iggy, nice work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

11196.invalid wrote:
The good news is that this three phase, baby 10" cold saw works.

Man that is a nice piece of equipment! I've always wanted to own
one. Oh well I guess I'll be bandsawing and milling until one comes
my way.
Seriously, Iggy, nice work.

I have been looking for a small one like this, for a long time. Was
very glad to finally find one.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-29, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Ignoramus21406 wrote:

I think that mine is sharp, then, as it cuts quickly. I agree on the
above points, but for me, other advantages are that it is not as loud,
and does not make the shop dirty from dust.

That dust is one of my pet hates. It gets on everything. That's why I
have a power hacksaw. Perhaps not as fast as a cold saw, but the blades
are cheaper, and it cuts square unlike most old bandsaws.

I do not think that , in the final analysis, the blades for cold saws
are very expensive. They last long and can be resharpened many times.

I am very enthusiastic about it. I want to figure out what coolant I
need and whether to replace existing coolant, which is likely to be
very old.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

brian wrote:
I would imagine the shriek sound to be the blade revolving on the hub whilst
cutting (slipping), a dull blade just requires more pressure and time to
make a cut.

Slipping seems unlikely. I think there are usually pins in the hub. A
dull blade taking longer and more force to cut is my recollection too.
The saw I used sometimes screeched. It might not be significant.

Best wishes,

Chris