Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C won't stay cold during the day/at night works great?

I live if Florida and it seems like my A/C just can't compete with the
heat. At night it works fine but during the day it runs all day and it
won't bring it under 80. Any ideas would be great, thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not really enough information, central air? tons? sq.ft you are trying
to cool?
I'll take a shot anyhow; assuming central air and big enough to do the
job, try cleaning the coil in the air handler. I've seen those so
clogged that if inverted they would hold water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
Not really enough information, central air? tons? sq.ft you are trying
to cool?
I'll take a shot anyhow; assuming central air and big enough to do the
job, try cleaning the coil in the air handler. I've seen those so
clogged that if inverted they would hold water.

I will give it a shot, thank you so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My experience has been that getting to the coil to give it a good cleaning
is gonna be tough - assuming that the basic layout hasn't changed much over
the years - one house that I bought it was so bad that they took the coil
out, disconnected it from the unit, and gave it an "acid bath" - had to
recharge the freon and all - but it cooled great from then on - if you can
get to the coil to clean it without disconnecting it, that'd be preferred -
and don't forget to vacuum up the gunk that comes off of the coil into the
drip pan, or your condensate line will stop up. Make sure to change the
filter regularly - and make sure that it fits correctly or you'll have air
hitting the coil (with dust and stuff) that hasn't passed through the filter
and the coil will get clogged up again.

Have fun . . .

"jcarter30" wrote in message
ps.com...

Eric in North TX wrote:
Not really enough information, central air? tons? sq.ft you are trying
to cool?
I'll take a shot anyhow; assuming central air and big enough to do the
job, try cleaning the coil in the air handler. I've seen those so
clogged that if inverted they would hold water.

I will give it a shot, thank you so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

jcarter30 wrote:
I live if Florida and it seems like my A/C just can't compete with the
heat. At night it works fine but during the day it runs all day and it
won't bring it under 80. Any ideas would be great, thanks

Mine was doing the same thing. It was low on freon. After recharging,
it works great.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Jul 2006 10:02:32 -0700, "jcarter30"
wrote:

Eric in North TX wrote:
Not really enough information, central air? tons? sq.ft you are trying
to cool?
I'll take a shot anyhow; assuming central air and big enough to do the
job, try cleaning the coil in the air handler. I've seen those so
clogged that if inverted they would hold water.

I will give it a shot, thank you so much.

The coil will need cleaning even if you have other problems so that
is the first order of business. You may have to disassemble or even
cut out an access hole to get to it, but it has to be done. A
slightly akaline cleaner can help speed the process.

' Beer Can Cold' is old but valid method for a home owner checking the
Freon charge.

Let your system run for half an hour or so and feel the large
insulated pipe that goes into the outside unit. Yesterday, on a 94
degee day, my chart said that line needed to be 64 degrees. Well
that's quite a bit too hot for beer, but in 94 degree weather it felt
beer can cold.

You can measure yours and see if it close to 64 degrees and if so,
make an educated guess that your system is properly charged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

jcarter30 wrote:
I live if Florida and it seems like my A/C just can't compete with the
heat. At night it works fine but during the day it runs all day and it
won't bring it under 80. Any ideas would be great, thanks

Mine was doing the same thing. It was low on freon. After recharging,
it works great.

And if the OP has a programmable tstat set with a deep setback, he's not
going to be able to recover to a decent setpoint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call your service guy, and ask for service. Could be any of several
things. The first which come to mind include dirty coils, and low
freon.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.