Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Wisnia

Default Soldered component removal: Raychem HT-900B works GREAT!!!

Ignoramus21405 wrote:
I tried using this heated air gun today. To those not familiar, here's
how it looks:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/misc/ebay/Raychem/

(pictured is a similar unit that I sold a long time ago).

It is a FANTASTIC tool for component removal. What it does is it blows
air at 900F, blows away all solder, removing it completely. The
components do not seem to be affected too much. The way I used it was
to blow away solder from all holes, one by one, and then I gently pull
out the component, as if it was never soldered.

It needs a compressor to operate. Which I have:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/CurtisCompressor/

The only concern I have is a health concern of blowing away hot molten
solder that possibly contains lead, in small caplets. Seems much worse
than plain soldering. I would only use it in a garage.

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:54:48 -0800, Steve wrote:

Ignoramus7428 wrote:

I am curious if anyone tried removing electronic
components with a "hot air gun". I have a Raytheon RayChem
HT-900B "Compressed air heater", which is supposed to blow
hot air at temperature of about 900F from a 1/8" ID or so
nozzle. It requires a compressor, which I have.

This Raychem gun is intended for use with solder sleeves (a
length of heat shrink tubing with a preformed ring of
solder in the center.) Solder sleeves are used for
applications such as attaching a jumper to the braid of a
coax cable. These guns run quite hot and I suspect would
easily damage a circuit board.

Be sure to use dry compressed air. Condensed drops of water
in the air supply can crack the heating element, which is
expensive.

I've salvaged components from junk boards for years using a propane
torch and a deft touch.

(Won't blow the solder off like the hot air gun.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)