Posted to alt.home.repair
Texas Yankee Texas Yankee is offline

Default A/C won't stay cold during the day/at night works great?

My experience has been that getting to the coil to give it a good cleaning
is gonna be tough - assuming that the basic layout hasn't changed much over
the years - one house that I bought it was so bad that they took the coil
out, disconnected it from the unit, and gave it an "acid bath" - had to
recharge the freon and all - but it cooled great from then on - if you can
get to the coil to clean it without disconnecting it, that'd be preferred -
and don't forget to vacuum up the gunk that comes off of the coil into the
drip pan, or your condensate line will stop up. Make sure to change the
filter regularly - and make sure that it fits correctly or you'll have air
hitting the coil (with dust and stuff) that hasn't passed through the filter
and the coil will get clogged up again.

Have fun . . .

"jcarter30" wrote in message
ps.com...

Eric in North TX wrote:
Not really enough information, central air? tons? sq.ft you are trying
to cool?
I'll take a shot anyhow; assuming central air and big enough to do the
job, try cleaning the coil in the air handler. I've seen those so
clogged that if inverted they would hold water.

I will give it a shot, thank you so much.