Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R. Jeff R. is offline

Default New pictures -- cold saw works -- blade question

Ignoramus11196 wrote:

What bothers me is that as it cuts, sometimes it makes a screeching
sound, which makes me suspect that the blae is dull. So, any owners of
cold saws out there, what would be a sign of a dull blade vs. a sharp
blade?

Harmonics.

Even with a freshly sharpened blade, if you get the wrong combination of
cross-section vs speed vs pressure vs number of teeth in contact vs phase of
the moon, then it will screech.

Try pulling down harder - really. (Although I would not do that if the
tubing is thin-walled)

Does it screech when you cut heavy bar stock?
(Might just be a woman)

Ours doesn't screech any more or less as it gets blunt - it just stops
cutting.
....but when its sharp... Best thing since sliced bread. Love it. Mirror
finish, dead straight, no sparks, very fast.

Good find, Ig.

--
Jeff R.