Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21406 Ignoramus21406 is offline

Default New pictures -- cold saw works -- blade question

On 2008-09-28, Jeff R. wrote:
Ignoramus11196 wrote:

What bothers me is that as it cuts, sometimes it makes a screeching
sound, which makes me suspect that the blae is dull. So, any owners of
cold saws out there, what would be a sign of a dull blade vs. a sharp
blade?

Harmonics.

Even with a freshly sharpened blade, if you get the wrong combination of
cross-section vs speed vs pressure vs number of teeth in contact vs phase of
the moon, then it will screech.

Try pulling down harder - really. (Although I would not do that if the
tubing is thin-walled)

Does it screech when you cut heavy bar stock?
(Might just be a woman)

I will try some more cutting today and report.

Ours doesn't screech any more or less as it gets blunt - it just stops
cutting.
...but when its sharp... Best thing since sliced bread. Love it. Mirror
finish, dead straight, no sparks, very fast.

I think that mine is sharp, then, as it cuts quickly. I agree on the
above points, but for me, other advantages are that it is not as loud,
and does not make the shop dirty from dust. I am very happy with this
saw so far.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/