Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electric four wheeler

"The Kid", my 25 year old, seen a video of a snowmobile with electric power.
he'd like to do the same thing to a four wheeler.

Anyone have suggestions on where to go for design advice and part sourcing?

I suggested parting out an old electric golf cart. He's thinking there is
new technology that will make for a far snappier machine.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
"The Kid", my 25 year old, seen a video of a snowmobile with electric
power. he'd like to do the same thing to a four wheeler.

Anyone have suggestions on where to go for design advice and part
sourcing?

I suggested parting out an old electric golf cart. He's thinking there is
new technology that will make for a far snappier machine.

Karl

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:10:52 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrolled the following:

"The Kid", my 25 year old, seen a video of a snowmobile with electric power.
he'd like to do the same thing to a four wheeler.

ATV or 4WD full-size truck?

Anyone have suggestions on where to go for design advice and part sourcing?

I suggested parting out an old electric golf cart. He's thinking there is
new technology that will make for a far snappier machine.

I doubt that he could find a Prius at a junkyard, but it's new and
high-tech.

Where will he plug in to recharge, at the forestry lookout station's
solar cell array? Through solar cells on a modified lumber rack?

I guess he could always just swing a line over the nearest power
transmission tower, eh?

I'd have bought a hybrid (2WD) truck last year if it had been
available.

Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
"The Kid", my 25 year old, seen a video of a snowmobile with electric
power. he'd like to do the same thing to a four wheeler.

Anyone have suggestions on where to go for design advice and part
sourcing?

I suggested parting out an old electric golf cart. He's thinking there is
new technology that will make for a far snappier machine.

Karl

Depends on how much power and weight you need can live with. Batteries are
the killer for most electric vehicles. Briggs & Stratton has a DC electric
that develops the equivalent around 12 HP. There are some guys who have put
them on top of small outboards in place of a gas power head. I'm sure there
are plenty of golf cart motors that could be used. When I was a kid I knew
a kid down the street that powered a flat track go-cart with a starter motor
off a car. He burned them up fairly often, but he could buy 50 of them for
the price of a good gas motor. I think he was actually getting them from a
wrecking yard for next to nothing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATV or 4WD full-size truck?

ATV

Anyone have suggestions on where to go for design advice and part
sourcing?

I suggested parting out an old electric golf cart. He's thinking there is
new technology that will make for a far snappier machine.

I doubt that he could find a Prius at a junkyard, but it's new and
high-tech.

Where will he plug in to recharge, at the forestry lookout station's
solar cell array? Through solar cells on a modified lumber rack?

My place, of course. The juice is free here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:35:18 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:
[Larry Jacques wrote]
[someone wrote]
Anyone have suggestions on where to go for design advice and part
sourcing?

I suggested parting out an old electric golf cart. He's thinking there
is new technology that will make for a far snappier machine.

I doubt that he could find a Prius at a junkyard, but it's new and
high-tech.

Where will he plug in to recharge, at the forestry lookout station's
solar cell array? Through solar cells on a modified lumber rack?

My place, of course. The juice is free here.

I don't know what Larry meant, but when I read his post imagined
that he thought the electric ATV would be used in areas where
gas-powered ones aren't welcome.

Although not relevant to Minnesota, current rulings for Yellowstone
Park have disallowed snowmobiles and snowcoaches for the 2008-09 winter.
See eg http://www.sharetrails.org/releases/snownews/?story=613 or
http://www.jacksonholenews.com/article.php?art_id=3625 . The expired
regulations refer to "best available technology snowmobiles", with
certified machines (typically 4-stroke) listed at
http://www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/current_batlist.htm .

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHdEqRwk2Oc

Ok, here it is. The elecric drive you have been waiting for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:35:18 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrolled the following:

ATV or 4WD full-size truck?

ATV

Anyone have suggestions on where to go for design advice and part
sourcing?

I suggested parting out an old electric golf cart. He's thinking there is
new technology that will make for a far snappier machine.

I doubt that he could find a Prius at a junkyard, but it's new and
high-tech.

Where will he plug in to recharge, at the forestry lookout station's
solar cell array? Through solar cells on a modified lumber rack?

My place, of course. The juice is free here.

Oh, I thought you might want to take it somewhere, y'know, like the
BOONDOCKS, WHERE YOU CAN GO 4WDing. g

Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article 44DBk.415$nl3.334@trnddc05,
Winston wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
"The Kid", my 25 year old, seen a video of a snowmobile with electric power.
he'd like to do the same thing to a four wheeler.

Anyone have suggestions on where to go for design advice and part sourcing?

I suggested parting out an old electric golf cart. He's thinking there is
new technology that will make for a far snappier machine.

Karl

You can buy it new for $1K. Delivery is ~$620 more.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4tto9z

1000 watt motor, which is less than 2hp.

I recently priced the components to build a 10 hp electric vehicle. I don't
think it can be done for less than $1500 just for the parts and not counting
the batteries.

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHdEqRwk2Oc

Ok, here it is. The elecric drive you have been waiting for.

Oh, man. The day they make a 10hp rechargable drill I'm all over it.

For now, I'm looking for a junked electric forklift with a good motor, a
good controller, and hopefully, a good transmission/differential.

Wish me luck.

STERN-WHEELER J T Woodworking 0 January 14th 07 04:01 AM
OT; 3-wheeler started- the SOLUTION Nick Hull Metalworking 16 April 12th 06 10:56 PM
OT; 3-wheeler doesn't start Nick Hull Metalworking 38 April 11th 06 02:33 AM
plans for "Brush Hog" type mower for 4-wheeler Eric R Snow Metalworking 8 July 18th 03 12:20 PM