Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default electric four wheeler

Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
"The Kid", my 25 year old, seen a video of a snowmobile with electric
power. he'd like to do the same thing to a four wheeler.

Anyone have suggestions on where to go for design advice and part
sourcing?

I suggested parting out an old electric golf cart. He's thinking there is
new technology that will make for a far snappier machine.

Karl

Depends on how much power and weight you need can live with. Batteries are
the killer for most electric vehicles. Briggs & Stratton has a DC electric
that develops the equivalent around 12 HP. There are some guys who have put
them on top of small outboards in place of a gas power head. I'm sure there
are plenty of golf cart motors that could be used. When I was a kid I knew
a kid down the street that powered a flat track go-cart with a starter motor
off a car. He burned them up fairly often, but he could buy 50 of them for
the price of a good gas motor. I think he was actually getting them from a
wrecking yard for next to nothing.