Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Loctite discovery

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 05:20:05 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 00:29:29 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

With my car up on ramps, installing a new trailer hitch from underneath, I
made an interesting discovery today. I don't work upside-down much anymore
and I get things a little backwards; I squeezed a tube of Loctite 242 onto
my favorite baseball cap and into my mouth.

Brilliant! Once or more than once, sir?

There were two discoveries, actually. First, Loctite washes out of your hat
with soap and water, if you get it quickly. Secondly, it's as sweet as sugar
water. In fact, it tastes a lot like Prestone Antifreeze.

We won't ask.

'Just thought you'd want to know, in case you ever wondered about it. If
anyone gets to taste gasket cement, please let us know what the flavor of
that's like, too. d8-)

I had a spider drop on my mustache once (going to UTI in '72 and
wrenching at a used car lot for extra dough parttime), as I fit an oil
pan up onto the block. I quickly brushed it off and, of course, there
was some silicone gasket sealer on my fingers at the time. It had no
taste (just that horrible acetic acid smell and the bright blue color)
and I had to trim the hell out of my mustache later that day, despite
wiping it off immediately and thoroughly.

I have forgotten the occasion, but I had a tube of crazy glue break
and spew its contents onto my hand and pant leg. I immediately stood
and got the material away from the skin on my leg and spread my
fingers. I stood still until it was completely dry. I don't recall
what happened to the pants - they were probably work pants so didn't
matter. About four days latter the dried glue peeled off like a glove.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
I keep waiting for the day when Michigan rust ruins the integrity of my Saturn SL1's
hitch. The rest of the car may be toast by then. It seems to be bolted though the trunk
sheet metal but is working okay so far.

My 95 SW1 is still hanging in there. Just pulled the camping trailer
up to the Jemes last spring and the hitch never complained, the
engine didn't like the climb very much. A lot of 3rd and even a bit
of 2nd with a 5 speed manual.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 31, 11:44 pm, Don Foreman
wrote:

Sweet! Gotta love the taste of cyano-acrylate in the morning, right?

Loctite 242 (and 222 and 262 and 290 and some others) are
saccharin-based. Saccharin was used, and still is in some countries,
as an artificial sweetener, though some suspect it of being
responsible for some health problems.
I sure wouldn't eat it.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can

Saturday was doing a quick glue up using 6 minute epoxy . About the
time the handle's epoxy was set I realized I gotten epoxy on my belly
hair while adjusting the handle. Pulling on hardened epoxy doesn't
remove it from hair. Now I have a bald patch courtesy of my beard
trimmer. A female friend of mine is still laughing at me.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 1, 7:49*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
In Chemistry class we were taught that if you think you absolutely
must try to identify a chemical by smell, put the cap on, shake the
bottle, remove and sniff the cap. That way there's less chance of
inhaling a strong concentration of the vapor.

We were taught to waft the fumes toward us with our hand. Of course
you need to learn the lesson. I did that doing a clove oil extraction
with chloroform. Stuff works faster than on TV.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 1, 8:02*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

Some years back I recall reading about some imported wines, whose flavor
was "improved" by the addition of ethylene glycol (antifreeze.) *I can't
remember whether anyone died.

That was from Italy, and it was in the late '60s, IIRC. It did make a lot of
people sick. I don't know if there was enough of it in the wine to kill
anyone, though.

--
Ed Huntress

The Chinese were doing it with toothpaste and such up till recently.
It wasn't actually antifreeze but close enough it's a no no in US
foods.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
With my car up on ramps, installing a new trailer hitch from underneath, I
made an interesting discovery today. I don't work upside-down much anymore
and I get things a little backwards; I squeezed a tube of Loctite 242 onto
my favorite baseball cap and into my mouth.

I thought this was a cydromeleader post
for a minute there....

There were two discoveries, actually. First, Loctite washes out of your hat
with soap and water, if you get it quickly. Secondly, it's as sweet as sugar
water. In fact, it tastes a lot like Prestone Antifreeze.

Yeah, I tasted it by accident a few years
ago. Sorta like eating paste in grade
school.

'Just thought you'd want to know, in case you ever wondered about it. If
anyone gets to taste gasket cement, please let us know what the flavor of
that's like, too. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

With my car up on ramps, installing a new trailer hitch from underneath, I
made an interesting discovery today. I don't work upside-down much anymore
and I get things a little backwards; I squeezed a tube of Loctite 242 onto
my favorite baseball cap and into my mouth.

There were two discoveries, actually. First, Loctite washes out of your hat
with soap and water, if you get it quickly. Secondly, it's as sweet as sugar
water. In fact, it tastes a lot like Prestone Antifreeze.

'Just thought you'd want to know, in case you ever wondered about it. If
anyone gets to taste gasket cement, please let us know what the flavor of
that's like, too. d8-)

TeeHee.... how's Crazy Glue Taste???? G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ken Sterling" wrote in message
With my car up on ramps, installing a new trailer hitch from underneath,
made an interesting discovery today. I don't work upside-down much anymore
and I get things a little backwards; I squeezed a tube of Loctite 242 onto
my favorite baseball cap and into my mouth.

There were two discoveries, actually. First, Loctite washes out of your
hat
with soap and water, if you get it quickly. Secondly, it's as sweet as
sugar
water. In fact, it tastes a lot like Prestone Antifreeze.

'Just thought you'd want to know, in case you ever wondered about it. If
anyone gets to taste gasket cement, please let us know what the flavor of
that's like, too. d8-)

TeeHee.... how's Crazy Glue Taste???? G

don't know, but brake fluid is really bitter and hard to wipe off from
around your mouth.

Petrol ("gas" for those state-side) isn't so bad but makes your lips feel
funny.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

don't know, but brake fluid is really bitter and hard to wipe off from
around your mouth.

Petrol ("gas" for those state-side) isn't so bad but makes your lips feel
funny.

Beware - gasoline (petrol) is a narcotic (in the formal medical sense of the
word) and it really can kill you

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Noble" wrote in message

don't know, but brake fluid is really bitter and hard to wipe off from
around your mouth.

Petrol ("gas" for those state-side) isn't so bad but makes your lips feel
funny.

Beware - gasoline (petrol) is a narcotic (in the formal medical sense of
the word) and it really can kill you

Don't worry I spat it out quickly! I was siphoning fuel - stupidly starting
the flow by mouth - somthing you only do once (or twice).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:26:19 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Den"
quickly quoth:

"William Noble" wrote in message

don't know, but brake fluid is really bitter and hard to wipe off from
around your mouth.

Petrol ("gas" for those state-side) isn't so bad but makes your lips feel
funny.

Beware - gasoline (petrol) is a narcotic (in the formal medical sense of
the word) and it really can kill you

Don't worry I spat it out quickly! I was siphoning fuel - stupidly starting
the flow by mouth - somthing you only do once (or twice).

I saw people get gas in their mouths too often, so I decided to avoid
it myself. Instead, I took a flexible toilet float and punched two
holes in it. One held the cutoff of garden hose, the other an 18"
piece of clear tubing. I put the garden hose in the tank with the
small side of the float pushed up against the filler neck. Then I blew
with the small tube to pressurize the gas tank, causing the fuel flow
without my being anywhere near it. I should have patented that idea
30+ years ago. Now it's too late, with anti-siphon necks and all.
sigh

--
Who is wise? He that learns from every One.
Who is powerful? He that governs his Passions.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

You missed out on being a millionaire with that one - a neat idea.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 04:32:02 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I saw people get gas in their mouths too often, so I decided to avoid
it myself. Instead, I took a flexible toilet float and punched two
holes in it. One held the cutoff of garden hose, the other an 18"
piece of clear tubing. I put the garden hose in the tank with the
small side of the float pushed up against the filler neck. Then I blew
with the small tube to pressurize the gas tank, causing the fuel flow
without my being anywhere near it. I should have patented that idea
30+ years ago. Now it's too late, with anti-siphon necks and all.
sigh

That is an old trick Larry. Learned it from my Dad ~35 years
ago. His wasn't quite so snazzy though, just a shop rag
wrapped around the hoses and stuffed into the filler neck.
You have to blow a bit more, but it works without the lovely
mouth full of gas. Cough, cough, gag...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Noble" wrote in message

don't know, but brake fluid is really bitter and hard to wipe off from
around your mouth.

Petrol ("gas" for those state-side) isn't so bad but makes your lips feel
funny.

Beware - gasoline (petrol) is a narcotic (in the formal medical sense of
the word) and it really can kill you

I think one of the most dangerous and fairly likely accident is getting the
gasoline (petrol) into your lungs.

Don Young (USA)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 12:52:19 -0400, Leon Fisk wrote:

That is an old trick Larry. Learned it from my Dad ~35 years
ago. His wasn't quite so snazzy though, just a shop rag
wrapped around the hoses and stuffed into the filler neck.
You have to blow a bit more, but it works without the lovely
mouth full of gas. Cough, cough, gag...

An even simpler trick is to use a clear siphon hose. When you can see the fuel
you know when to stop.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 05:50:52 -0400, William Bagwell
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 12:52:19 -0400, Leon Fisk wrote:

That is an old trick Larry. Learned it from my Dad ~35 years
ago. His wasn't quite so snazzy though, just a shop rag
wrapped around the hoses and stuffed into the filler neck.
You have to blow a bit more, but it works without the lovely
mouth full of gas. Cough, cough, gag...

An even simpler trick is to use a clear siphon hose. When you can see the fuel
you know when to stop.

You would think that would do the trick, but I've still
managed to get some in my mouth using a clear hose.

If you leave too big an air gap and are slow with the thumb
it won't take. So one tries to leave the least amount of air
and...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Been there, done that... different discovery process though.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
With my car up on ramps, installing a new trailer hitch from underneath, I
made an interesting discovery today. I don't work upside-down much anymore
and I get things a little backwards; I squeezed a tube of Loctite 242 onto
my favorite baseball cap and into my mouth.

There were two discoveries, actually. First, Loctite washes out of your
hat with soap and water, if you get it quickly. Secondly, it's as sweet as
sugar water. In fact, it tastes a lot like Prestone Antifreeze.

'Just thought you'd want to know, in case you ever wondered about it. If
anyone gets to taste gasket cement, please let us know what the flavor of
that's like, too. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
Ed Huntress

Ed, I spent 12 hours Monday installing a trailer hitch package.

You had a better time than I did.

But I got it all in, and only have 5 screws left over.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message

Ed Huntress

Ed, I spent 12 hours Monday installing a trailer hitch package.

You had a better time than I did.

But I got it all in, and only have 5 screws left over.

Haha! That's what I used to say about the engine on my wife's Fiesta. Each
time I put it back together, I had fewer screws left over. g

My hitch would have gone on really quick except that the holes didn't line
up perfectly well. So I opened up some holes with a rat-tail file, and got
my son to lean on a pry bar to bend the hitch a little.

But you didn't take a whole lot longer than I did, by the time I was
finished with the wiring and so on.

'Hope yours works fine.

--
Ed Huntress