Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default old VS 15" drill press?

There's an old Dayton-branded 15" VS drill press for sale in my area. I
paid $20 for an option on it for a week. I called Grainger and they said
they have nothing on it now but that it was made by Wilton, they couldn't
tell me when.

There was no power in the shed where I looked at it. The top sheet metal
was off the head, exposing the VS belt and sheaves to the sky. They
looked OK. There is light rust on the column, table, and on the outer
skin of the chuck, which apparently is a #33 taper.

This is an estate sale situation. The former owner worked at Stanford all
his life. The motor has a tachometer which is connected and the wire goes
into a Rube Goldberg box hung on the side of the machine. There's some
kind of circuit board in there, and a pot shaft sticking out the front
and a 3-way toggle sticking out the side. I think the toggle is FWD/OFF/REV
and I imagine the electronics on the side were for some kind of RPM
display.

The spindle seems to spin freely, and the quill goes up and down fine.
It has 6" of quill travel and a solid quill clamp as well.

I'm going to haul a trailer back out there in a few days and power it up
and if it seems to work OK, haul it home.

Anyone have any info on this machine? Dayton model 3Z327. There's one on
ebay, item no. 300246389591.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks very similar to my powermatic 1150 drill press, which I like a
lot. No power in the shed can be resolved by bringing extension cords
or a generator.

I can sell you any number of Jacobs 33C chucks for spares. Just tell
me how many you need, 5, 10 etc.

On 2008-08-15, Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20579 wrote:

I can sell you any number of Jacobs 33C chucks for spares. Just tell
me how many you need, 5, 10 etc.

First tell me how to get the dang thing off! It doesn't have a slot
for a drift key .. wedges?

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article uMppk.30$lf2.12@trnddc07,
Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus20579 wrote:

I can sell you any number of Jacobs 33C chucks for spares. Just tell
me how many you need, 5, 10 etc.

First tell me how to get the dang thing off! It doesn't have a slot
for a drift key .. wedges?

Wedges, for example
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=08592966.

I recall that the JT6 wedge set was best for JT33. The other sizes are
on catalog page 1631.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, it *really* looks like a Powermatic 1150. I no longer think it was made
by Wilton, which is probably good news since Wilton is now essentially just
a different arm of Jet, just another Chinese importer. Is Powermatic still
in business?

Grant

Ignoramus20579 wrote:
Looks very similar to my powermatic 1150 drill press, which I like a
lot. No power in the shed can be resolved by bringing extension cords
or a generator.

I can sell you any number of Jacobs 33C chucks for spares. Just tell
me how many you need, 5, 10 etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
OK, it *really* looks like a Powermatic 1150. I no longer think it was

made
by Wilton, which is probably good news since Wilton is now essentially

just
a different arm of Jet, just another Chinese importer. Is Powermatic still
in business?

Grant

Now that's funny!

Can you say WMH tool group!
They own them all, and they are all still in business.
BTW I have the 20" Dayton/Wilton model and I wouldn't trade it for a
powermatic, and I have tons of powermatic stuff.....

William.....

Ignoramus20579 wrote:
Looks very similar to my powermatic 1150 drill press, which I like a
lot. No power in the shed can be resolved by bringing extension cords
or a generator.

I can sell you any number of Jacobs 33C chucks for spares. Just tell
me how many you need, 5, 10 etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-16, Grant Erwin wrote:
I wouldn't trade a 20" DP for a 15" DP either. This is quite a bit of machine
for a 15" DP, though, at 250+ pounds.

Grant, that press does not look identical to powermatic 1150. It is
merely similar. Powermatic 1150 weighs, maybe 300+ lbs if not 400.

As someone said, Wilton owns them all.

Grant

Ignoramus20579 wrote:

Looks very similar to my powermatic 1150 drill press, which I like a
lot. No power in the shed can be resolved by bringing extension cords
or a generator.

I can sell you any number of Jacobs 33C chucks for spares. Just tell
me how many you need, 5, 10 etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wouldn't trade a 20" DP for a 15" DP either. This is quite a bit of

machine
for a 15" DP, though, at 250+ pounds.

Grant

No, I ment to say I wouldn't trade a 20" for a 20" the Wilton I have is a
much better machine than the powermatic.....

William....

Ignoramus20579 wrote:

Looks very similar to my powermatic 1150 drill press, which I like a
lot. No power in the shed can be resolved by bringing extension cords
or a generator.

I can sell you any number of Jacobs 33C chucks for spares. Just tell
me how many you need, 5, 10 etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:

There's an old Dayton-branded 15" VS drill press for sale in my area. I
paid $20 for an option on it for a week. I called Grainger and they said
they have nothing on it now but that it was made by Wilton, they couldn't
tell me when.

Sounds similar to one I offered $250 for when a widow asked me to price her deceased
husbands tools. I bid 250 on it at auction. Only one other bidder, he won, 250 is what I
told her and what I was willing to bid. Might go a few bucks higher now, inflation you
know.

Check out the varidrive system. They can be rebuilt you know. I've been doing it on my
lathe.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

There's an old Dayton-branded 15" VS drill press for sale in my area. I
paid $20 for an option on it for a week. I called Grainger and they said
they have nothing on it now but that it was made by Wilton, they couldn't
tell me when.

Sounds similar to one I offered $250 for when a widow asked me to price her deceased
husbands tools. I bid 250 on it at auction. Only one other bidder, he won, 250 is what I
told her and what I was willing to bid. Might go a few bucks higher now, inflation you
know.

Check out the varidrive system. They can be rebuilt you know. I've been doing it on my
lathe.

The lady's son sold it despite the lady having taken my money and agreed on
a price.

She's going to send back my money.

I don't care beans about old Dayton DPs now, thanks anyway.

Grant