Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20579 Ignoramus20579 is offline

Default old VS 15" drill press?

Looks very similar to my powermatic 1150 drill press, which I like a
lot. No power in the shed can be resolved by bringing extension cords
or a generator.

I can sell you any number of Jacobs 33C chucks for spares. Just tell
me how many you need, 5, 10 etc.

On 2008-08-15, Grant Erwin wrote:
There's an old Dayton-branded 15" VS drill press for sale in my area. I
paid $20 for an option on it for a week. I called Grainger and they said
they have nothing on it now but that it was made by Wilton, they couldn't
tell me when.

There was no power in the shed where I looked at it. The top sheet metal
was off the head, exposing the VS belt and sheaves to the sky. They
looked OK. There is light rust on the column, table, and on the outer
skin of the chuck, which apparently is a #33 taper.

This is an estate sale situation. The former owner worked at Stanford all
his life. The motor has a tachometer which is connected and the wire goes
into a Rube Goldberg box hung on the side of the machine. There's some
kind of circuit board in there, and a pot shaft sticking out the front
and a 3-way toggle sticking out the side. I think the toggle is FWD/OFF/REV
and I imagine the electronics on the side were for some kind of RPM
display.

The spindle seems to spin freely, and the quill goes up and down fine.
It has 6" of quill travel and a solid quill clamp as well.

I'm going to haul a trailer back out there in a few days and power it up
and if it seems to work OK, haul it home.

Anyone have any info on this machine? Dayton model 3Z327. There's one on
ebay, item no. 300246389591.

Grant

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/