Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Reliable, "Quiet" Drill Press?

Is it plausible to have a full sized drill press in an apartment?

The table top just isn't cutting it, and I was wondering if there was
a relatively quiet floor model(under 200lbs) that I should keep my
eyes open for.(I've dedicated one room to my tools which include a
Mini lathe and a mini mill).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Darren,
If any of your tools make noise, you are doing something wrong. When it
comes to machine tools, light weight means light performance. Only you can
determine what is enough, but invariably you will want larger. It is the
nature of this desease.
Steve

"Searcher7" wrote in message
Is it plausible to have a full sized drill press in an apartment?

The table top just isn't cutting it, and I was wondering if there was
a relatively quiet floor model(under 200lbs) that I should keep my
eyes open for.(I've dedicated one room to my tools which include a
Mini lathe and a mini mill).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Searcher7 wrote:
Is it plausible to have a full sized drill press in an apartment?

The table top just isn't cutting it, and I was wondering if there was
a relatively quiet floor model(under 200lbs) that I should keep my
eyes open for.(I've dedicated one room to my tools which include a
Mini lathe and a mini mill).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

You might also look at those noise reducing pads sold for putting under
motor driven exercise treadmills to try and minimize the amount of noise
transmitted through the floor to the rooms below.

Stability might be a problem though, you could consider enlarging the
drill press base by attaching it to a piece of plywood closer to the
size of the mat.

HTH,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 14, 12:26*pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Searcher7wrote:
[...]

I'm just looking for something *relatively* quiet.(I'll have to worry
about nicse reducing options later).

And I am looking for a floor model because they are sturdier and
therefore more accurate.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New york.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:18:55 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7
wrote:

And I am looking for a floor model because they are sturdier and
therefore more accurate.

Not in the slightest true for good drill presses. The differnce
between a bench and table top Rockwell for example..is work envelope,
IE...Height.

The heads are the same.
Wish you werent on the other Left coast, Id dig you up something
decent.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Searcher7 wrote:
Is it plausible to have a full sized drill press in an apartment?

The table top just isn't cutting it, and I was wondering if there was
a relatively quiet floor model(under 200lbs) that I should keep my
eyes open for.(I've dedicated one room to my tools which include a
Mini lathe and a mini mill).

I have yet to see a drill press as loud as my minimill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-18, Rex wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:
Is it plausible to have a full sized drill press in an apartment?

The table top just isn't cutting it, and I was wondering if there was
a relatively quiet floor model(under 200lbs) that I should keep my
eyes open for.(I've dedicated one room to my tools which include a
Mini lathe and a mini mill).

I have yet to see a drill press as loud as my minimill.

My Powermatic 1150 drill press is 10 times as loud as my Bridgeport.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On 2008-03-18, Rex wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:
Is it plausible to have a full sized drill press in an apartment?

The table top just isn't cutting it, and I was wondering if there was
a relatively quiet floor model(under 200lbs) that I should keep my
eyes open for.(I've dedicated one room to my tools which include a
Mini lathe and a mini mill).

I have yet to see a drill press as loud as my minimill.

My Powermatic 1150 drill press is 10 times as loud as my Bridgeport.

Wow. I guess my DPs are real wusses!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:02:58 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7
wrote:

Is it plausible to have a full sized drill press in an apartment?

If you can fit it in through the doorway, and it isn't expressly
forbidden by the rental agreement language, quite plausible.

The table top just isn't cutting it, and I was wondering if there was
a relatively quiet floor model(under 200lbs) that I should keep my
eyes open for.(I've dedicated one room to my tools which include a
Mini lathe and a mini mill).

They are only as quiet as the work you're doing, mostly. A fly
cutter or a bimetallic hole saw is going to make noise no matter what
you chuck them up in.

Not to say there's no addition - There's a little bit of noise in
the motor, cheap motors will have more loose things that buzz.
There's a little noise in sloppy bearings and quill splines. Or in
out of balance sheaves and not-straight quill shafts. Generally the
better the machine, the less noise you're going to get. Go to the
machinery seller and test-run the unit you are considering.

You may be better off in noise-proofing the shop area. If you
aren't in a ground floor unit with a slab floor, consider moving to
one - the biggest noise is going to go through conduction through the
floor joists and the floor diaphragm as a whole.

Cutting off sound conduction through the floor is going to involve
some very major building mods that a landlord will NOT approve of - I
don't think you're going to get permission to float 4" of lightweight
concrete over the sub-floor to add mass, and then lay a new floor...

You can soundproof the walls and ceiling by hanging absorptive
panels of egg-crate foam, sound board or acoustic tiles, but again the
bugaboo is in attaching them to the landlord's walls and ceilings.

Make friends with all the neighbors, find out what times making
noise is OK and forbidden for each of them, and make sure they have
your phone number. Far better for them to call you up and ask you to
stop for a while because they are entertaining company or are getting
a headache, than for them to call the landlord and complain to him.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-18, Rex wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:
Is it plausible to have a full sized drill press in an apartment?

The table top just isn't cutting it, and I was wondering if there was
a relatively quiet floor model(under 200lbs) that I should keep my
eyes open for.(I've dedicated one room to my tools which include a
Mini lathe and a mini mill).
I have yet to see a drill press as loud as my minimill.

My Powermatic 1150 drill press is 10 times as loud as my Bridgeport.

Wow. I guess my DPs are real wusses!

I think that it is so noisy because of vari-speed drive. The
Bridgeport is more powerful, but much quieter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

From what you are saying, a floor model in an apartmetn is not going
to work.

Perhaps I should just concentrate on getting a *better* benchtop drill
press.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:35:46 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7 wrote:

From what you are saying, a floor model in an apartmetn is not going
to work.
Perhaps I should just concentrate on getting a *better* benchtop drill
press.

I haven't followed the whole thread in detail so if this was covered I
apologize. But, is there some sort of foam you could put under
whichever drillpress you use, to isolate the sound from going into your
structure? Mass and dampening is your friend. Bolt a big chunk of
steel to the base of your drillpress, of whatever size, put it on a mat
of high density foam, and the noise transmitted to your neighbors will
be minimized.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Is it plausible to have a full sized drill press in an apartment?

* If you can fit it in through the doorway, and it isn't expressly
forbidden by the rental agreement language, quite plausible.

From what you are saying, a floor model in an apartmetn is not going
to work.

Perhaps I should just concentrate on getting a *better* benchtop drill
press.

Never said that at all - If you buy a floor model and a benchtop
model drill press that have identical motors and heads on them (the
only difference being the column length and minor details in the work
table and base), and you do identical work with them, the noise
profiles should also be identical.

If you don't do large work where you have to use the floor model to
get the table low enough to get the workpiece under the spindle, I'd
go for a GOOD table-top model. They do exist. But if the items are
large, go ahead and get a floor model - your call.

The only difference would be in the bench that the benchtop model is
mounted upon - the bench itself can add mass and damping that can cut
down on the mechanical noise coupling through the legs and to the
floor if you design it that way.

You could build a pallet sized platform under the floor-mount drill
press to decouple the vibrations, but it would make a raised platform
to step up onto. Over, and over, and over...

And you can make a concrete topped work table to mount the bench-top
unit on and damp the noise - but if you do anything heavy like ma
layer of concrete or bricks, check the floor loading first.

Either way you might have to lay some timbers on the floor to spread
out the leg loading across several floor joists. You do NOT want the
end results to look like that old Goofy short on fitness, where the
downstairs unit suddenly gets a new skylight in their front bedroom...

Waaaa-ha-ha-hooooieeeeeee!!! ;-)

-- Bruce --