Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Part-time machinist update

I never thought I'd be under this kind of pressure! My part-time, after dark
machining faerie left a note on my desk that he was catching up on his list of
stuff to do. I've even bolstered his load with consumable parts that we
constantly break or wear out, rather than just new projects. Now, I have to go
to work earlier and miss "Family Feud" and "JAG" just to stay ahead of Tim. I
have to design stuff as fast as I can; speed is NOT my forte!

As he's been working, he's been organizing the tooling, fixturing and materials
to a much more professional degree. His presence has also spurred the rest of
my engineering staff to a higher level of accomplishment. And most of all, he
says he really enjoys what's he's doing, our cool projects and my "eclectic"
people.

Anybody need any machining done?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 01:54:39 -0400, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

I never thought I'd be under this kind of pressure! My part-time, after dark
machining faerie left a note on my desk that he was catching up on his list of
stuff to do. I've even bolstered his load with consumable parts that we
constantly break or wear out, rather than just new projects. Now, I have to go
to work earlier and miss "Family Feud" and "JAG" just to stay ahead of Tim. I
have to design stuff as fast as I can; speed is NOT my forte!

As he's been working, he's been organizing the tooling, fixturing and materials
to a much more professional degree. His presence has also spurred the rest of
my engineering staff to a higher level of accomplishment. And most of all, he
says he really enjoys what's he's doing, our cool projects and my "eclectic"
people.

Anybody need any machining done?

Sorry, no, but...

Do the design work as far as you can take it, and leave the
'Machining Faerie' your sketches what you think might work - and a
note that if he has a better idea go for it. Then see what shows up
on the desk in the morning, might surprise you.

And the hairball in your steel-toes is just one of the cats
complaining about the rations. You can ignore that.

Either way, it has to follow the usual path: build it and see if it
breaks. Redesign, prototype #2, lather rinse repeat.

You could leave a Clippard Minimatic catalog out and see if any of
the production machines need to be upgraded. Insurance companies feel
a lot better about giving discounts when all the machines that have
human hands in the area have "Two Hand No Tie Down" cycle interlocks,
and are guarded and interlocked against idiot operators.

And video cameras are the other ace in the hole against people
deliberately bypassing safeties and winning themselves a Darwin Award
- If nothing else, you can sell the footage to AFV...

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 01:54:39 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

I never thought I'd be under this kind of pressure! My part-time, after dark
machining faerie left a note on my desk that he was catching up on his list of
stuff to do. I've even bolstered his load with consumable parts that we
constantly break or wear out, rather than just new projects. Now, I have to go
to work earlier and miss "Family Feud" and "JAG" just to stay ahead of Tim. I
have to design stuff as fast as I can; speed is NOT my forte!

As he's been working, he's been organizing the tooling, fixturing and materials
to a much more professional degree. His presence has also spurred the rest of
my engineering staff to a higher level of accomplishment. And most of all, he
says he really enjoys what's he's doing, our cool projects and my "eclectic"
people.

Anybody need any machining done?

Have him whip out a mini mill and mini lathe for me, will ya, Tawm?
Thatta boy!

--
A great preservative against angry and mutinous thoughts, and all
impatience and quarreling, is to have some great business and
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
As he's been working, he's been organizing the tooling, fixturing and materials
to a much more professional degree. His presence has also spurred the rest of
my engineering staff to a higher level of accomplishment. ...

Look out, he's on his way to taking over. As he becomes more & more
useful, he becomes more & more central to your operation, and you become
more & more dependent upon him. First he'll want raises, then
promotions, then ownership portion. Sooner or later it will be his and
you'll be wondering what the hell happened. VBG

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:25:59 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
As he's been working, he's been organizing the tooling, fixturing and materials
to a much more professional degree. His presence has also spurred the rest of
my engineering staff to a higher level of accomplishment. ...

Look out, he's on his way to taking over. As he becomes more & more
useful, he becomes more & more central to your operation, and you become
more & more dependent upon him. First he'll want raises, then
promotions, then ownership portion. Sooner or later it will be his and
you'll be wondering what the hell happened. VBG

You've just described every small business owner's fondest wish -- an
employee with enough ability and interest in the business to take it
over some day.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
Tom Gardner wrote:
As he's been working, he's been organizing the tooling, fixturing and
materials to a much more professional degree. His presence has also
spurred the rest of my engineering staff to a higher level of
accomplishment. ...

Look out, he's on his way to taking over. As he becomes more & more
useful, he becomes more & more central to your operation, and you become
more & more dependent upon him. First he'll want raises, then promotions,
then ownership portion. Sooner or later it will be his and you'll be
wondering what the hell happened. VBG

Bob

COOL! I could be fishing, reading, golfing, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

As he's been working, he's been organizing the tooling, fixturing and
materials to a much more professional degree. His presence has also
spurred the rest of my engineering staff to a higher level of
accomplishment. ...

Look out, he's on his way to taking over.

(...)
Sooner or later it will be his and you'll be
wondering what the hell happened. VBG

Bob

COOL! I could be fishing, reading, golfing, etc.

Listen to Bob!

Just how the heck do you plan on staying a world - class manufacturer
with your attitude, Tawm?

Now's the time to line up a crooked psychologist (1) so you can ruin this
guy's life *before* he becomes too productive.
That's how the big boys operate.

It's that or hook up your people up with a union. Take your choice!

--Winston

(1) But I repeat myself
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

I never thought I'd be under this kind of pressure! My part-time, after dark
machining faerie left a note on my desk that he was catching up on his list of
stuff to do. I've even bolstered his load with consumable parts that we
constantly break or wear out, rather than just new projects. Now, I have to go
to work earlier and miss "Family Feud" and "JAG" just to stay ahead of Tim. I
have to design stuff as fast as I can; speed is NOT my forte!

Tom,

I know how you feel. Many years ago, I was given help. A nice young gent that worked in
maintenance but was recovering from a end over end automotive accident.

Brain a bit damaged as in closed head. Guy was one of those that was a good worker prior
to the accident and that the Plant Manager had a soft spot for.

Anyway, I was told to use him and keep an eye on him to keep him out of trouble. Where I
work now, he would have been terminated after fmla unless he was fully recovered.

Oh, forgot to mention. The place I worked at closed. The gent recovered and moved on to
a position closer to home. Actually he was my reference for the position I currently
hold.

Anyway to get to the point. Having help ment I was expected to get more things done.
Which ment more planning, designing, buying, dealing with issues, ect.

It didn't take long to figure out that I was working longer and harder having help and the
compensation didn't exactly track the productivity gains.

Now in you case, you own the place so profits do go back to you. While I do understand
what you are experiencing, don't expect tears from me bud.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In the same light - when a engineering crunch is coming on, the brothers
and sisters just hunker down and grab root. They pray that they don't get
help as the help is like loosing two or more.

We say it time and time again. It is better to work 10 hours a day than
get help.

If the help is an equal it lugs you down getting them on-board. Not near
as bad as one with nominal skill that needs to be brought up.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
news
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

[...]

Tim's just the shot in the arm that I need! The situation pushes me out of a
lackadaisical routine and the "young blood" atmosphere revives memories of when
I was more on mission. After so many years of fire-fighting, being in a comfort
zone now has it's down-side in that there's more I can accomplish that will
bolster my golden years in the long run.
(note time-stamp of post)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Tim's just the shot in the arm that I need! The situation pushes me out of a
lackadaisical routine and the "young blood" atmosphere revives memories of when
I was more on mission. After so many years of fire-fighting, being in a comfort
zone now has it's down-side in that there's more I can accomplish that will
bolster my golden years in the long run.
(note time-stamp of post)

I'm glad that this is working for you. Being the guy with the S on your shirt wears old
after a while. Even here, where I currently work, I try to impart knowledge to the other
techs so when I come in, I only hear about what they fixed on the previous shifts rather
than fix what they could not.

We have a new tech. Seems pretty damn smart, I may have to study a bit harder to stay
ahead of him. I'm still mentoring him but I have a feeling I may get something back,
learning wise, out of this guy down the road. I can hope.

Sure hope to be able to visit next year before names. I'd sure like to see your place.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

[...]

That would be wonderful! Be welcome anytime...but you have to promise not to
laugh! One downside about my new guy is that he hasn't much "vision" to improve
or troubleshoot a poorly designed part or mechanism but I'm encouraging his
input and discuss a part and it's function before he makes it.