Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Craigs list part time machinist update

This situation is turning out better than I could have ever imagined! A month
or so ago, I hired a part-time machinist after advertising on Craig's list. He
has 20 years experience as a tool and die maker and is currently employed as a
CNC programmer at a company a mile away. The next production machine that will
hopefully go on line in a couple of months is a copy of two other machines so I
have drawings of all the parts to be made. I ran a Gantt chart on the whole
project and with my new machinist Tim, we are AHEAD of schedule! (I've never
been ahead of schedule!) He truly makes me look like a hack with his speed,
quality and methodology.

Tim has a couple of parts done during the night or a more complex part in
process, what a nice thing to see in the morning! It's like the machine elves
are at work! Tim has also made minor improvements to the parts and quickly
understands the sub-systems of the machine and knows what's important and what
isn't. The only minor mistakes have been in my drawings that haven't shown a
hole being threaded or some other omission that we call a "Secret Squirrel".
Ooppps! But, he figured out how to save the part if it was worth it!

So, not only have I been able to reproduce some of my function but improve it.
Also, his productivity has inspired the rest of my engineering staff to new
heights. I imagine the day that I'm working part-time at my leisure. A bit of
fishing, golf, travel and other recreation would be nice and mesh well with my
toe-tag retirement plan! I WIN!!!

Now, if Gunner would get home once in a while, he could sell me some linear
bearing stuff I need! (hint, hint, wink,wink)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Life is good when you have great help. I suggest you slap some golden
handcuffs (pay raise) on that fella before he looks around for another job.
There ain't nothin' that says I need you like a pay rate increase.

The one plus of this slow economy is good help is easier to find. We just
hired 26 teenagers to pick strawberries. One of the finest groups of
youngsters we've ever had.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Life is good when you have great help. I suggest you slap some golden
handcuffs (pay raise) on that fella before he looks around for another
job. There ain't nothin' that says I need you like a pay rate increase.

The one plus of this slow economy is good help is easier to find. We just
hired 26 teenagers to pick strawberries. One of the finest groups of
youngsters we've ever had.

Karl

Karl
I went past your farm a couple weeks ago on my way home from a show. I
thought about stopping in to visit but it was Sunday afternoon late. Maybe
next time. I have to go down to Hutchinson in July.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 06:23:06 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

Life is good when you have great help. I suggest you slap some golden
handcuffs (pay raise) on that fella before he looks around for another job.
There ain't nothin' that says I need you like a pay rate increase.

I disagree with that thought, Karl. A quick bonus would be better as a
"Thank you" and preclude the possible secondary reaction: him thinking
that he needed to improve his output even more "to deserve the raise."
He's doing fine; why mess with a good thing? I'm sure Tawm has told
him all he's told us and more.

A bonus could be a new tool that the guy's been wanting or the usual
cash thing.

The one plus of this slow economy is good help is easier to find. We just
hired 26 teenagers to pick strawberries. One of the finest groups of
youngsters we've ever had.

Goodonya, Mate.

--
After all, it is those who have a deep and real inner life who
are best able to deal with the irritating details of outer life.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Life is good when you have great help. I suggest you slap some golden
handcuffs (pay raise) on that fella before he looks around for another job.
There ain't nothin' that says I need you like a pay rate increase.

The one plus of this slow economy is good help is easier to find. We just
hired 26 teenagers to pick strawberries. One of the finest groups of
youngsters we've ever had.

So, are they members of that deep pool of US citizens who are reputed to
not be willing to work at such jobs?

I'd pick strawberries for you, but I don't know if any of them would
make it to the tray :-).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

I'm with Karl -- nothing says "you do good work" than a raise.

I'd give him what I could afford considering the increased productivity,
and tell him "You do better than I thought you would, let me make up
some of the difference".

Does he redline the erroneous drawings, too? There's nothing I like
better than a technician who gives me back my parts with all my drawings
redlined. I _like_ it when someone covers my ass that way.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Life is good when you have great help. I suggest you slap some golden
handcuffs (pay raise) on that fella before he looks around for another job.
There ain't nothin' that says I need you like a pay rate increase.

The one plus of this slow economy is good help is easier to find. We just
hired 26 teenagers to pick strawberries. One of the finest groups of
youngsters we've ever had.

Karl

He named his pay-rate and I told him that he could buy any tooling he needs or
wants. I gave him a set of keys and alarm codes and said he can come and go as
go pleases. I gave him access to my desk and computers but insisted he pet the
cats when they come to visit. (the cats like him, that says it all) He's got a
perfect situation with his real job just 5 minutes away and he loves to make
chips!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I went past your farm a couple weeks ago on my way home from a show. I
thought about stopping in to visit but it was Sunday afternoon late. Maybe
next time. I have to go down to Hutchinson in July.
Steve

Stop in for a free shop tour and maybe some fresh strawberries. I'd love to
have you.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd pick strawberries for you, but I don't know if any of them would
make it to the tray :-).

Now you know why I pay by the pound.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

He named his pay-rate and I told him that he could buy any tooling he
needs or
wants. I gave him a set of keys and alarm codes and said he can come and
go as go pleases. I gave him access to my desk and computers but insisted
he pet the cats when they come to visit. (the cats like him, that says it
all) He's got a perfect situation with his real job just 5 minutes away
and he loves to make chips!

You got yourself a dream situation.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...

He named his pay-rate and I told him that he could buy any tooling he
needs or
wants. I gave him a set of keys and alarm codes and said he can come and
go as go pleases. I gave him access to my desk and computers but
insisted he pet the cats when they come to visit. (the cats like him,
that says it all) He's got a perfect situation with his real job just 5
minutes away and he loves to make chips!

You got yourself a dream situation.

Karl

I'm sure I'll pay for THAT!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Life is good when you have great help. I suggest you slap some golden
handcuffs (pay raise) on that fella before he looks around for another job.
There ain't nothin' that says I need you like a pay rate increase.

Cash, the most sincere form of flattery.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

I'd pick strawberries for you, but I don't know if any of them would
make it to the tray :-).

Don't show up with a gallon of ice cream. He might catch on.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Tim Wescott wrote:

I'd pick strawberries for you, but I don't know if any of them would
make it to the tray :-).

Don't show up with a gallon of ice cream. He might catch on.

Wes

My mom's shortcake recipe is in play!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd pick strawberries for you, but I don't know if any of them would
make it to the tray :-).

Don't show up with a gallon of ice cream. He might catch on.

Wes

My mom's shortcake recipe is in play!

How big is your recipe for? Looks like I got about 30,000 lbs. of
strawberries.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

I'd pick strawberries for you, but I don't know if any of them would
make it to the tray :-).

Don't show up with a gallon of ice cream. He might catch on.

Wes

My mom's shortcake recipe is in play!

How big is your recipe for? Looks like I got about 30,000 lbs. of
strawberries.

Karl

I can do the math! ...but even I might get strawberried-out. Do you sell
them for fresh consumption or do the go into processing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can do the math! ...but even I might get strawberried-out. Do you sell
them for fresh consumption or do the go into processing?

Strictly retail fresh on farm market. But a few get lost and return as
strawberry rubarb wine.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
... Looks like I got about 30,000 lbs. of
strawberries.

From 6 acres ("damndelion" post): say 40,000 sq ft/acre, allowing 10%
for access = 240,000 sq ft or 8 sq ft/lb of berry. If rows are 3'
apart, 8 sq ft would give 2 2/3 ft (32") of row. 1 lb of berry for 32"
of row?

Just curious,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:08:59 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
... Looks like I got about 30,000 lbs. of
strawberries.

From 6 acres ("damndelion" post): say 40,000 sq ft/acre, allowing 10%
for access = 240,000 sq ft or 8 sq ft/lb of berry. If rows are 3'
apart, 8 sq ft would give 2 2/3 ft (32") of row. 1 lb of berry for 32"
of row?

Just curious,
Bob

Allow 50% for access if you want people to be able to pick strawberries
without making strawberry jam at the same time.

From experience with my grandparents smallholding, not even a 12 year old can
affect the yield of a couple of acres :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Part-time machinist wanted...how to hire? Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 5 April 5th 08 07:24 AM
OT Craigs List Curran Copeland Woodworking 28 December 26th 07 05:10 PM
Craigs List Record Planes John Grossbohlin Woodworking 0 March 22nd 07 12:48 AM
craigs list virus Lee Woodworking 3 October 31st 06 03:24 PM
Portland, OR Craigs list - 5 lathes [email protected] Metalworking 4 March 16th 06 08:38 PM