Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DRO's for lathe or mill

Anyone using DRO's (calipers) on their lathe or mill?

Like the ones from
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...=3091&category

If so where you get it from and what was the cost?

What's the quality like?

Based on the above link is the DRO and the digital display units good value
for money?

Or is there a better or cheaper way?

thanks
DazFNQ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got my 3 axis kit from SMW Precision, it seems to be the same kit
that LMS is selling. I'm very happy with it, but recognize that the
Chinese Mini-Mills aren't all "exactly" the same in location of
hardware (torsion spring vs air strut) and dimensions of castings, so
you'll have to fuss some with the brackets. As I recall it was under
$500 shipped with the 3 scales, brackets, and readout. You'll have to
drill and tap a few holes and maybe modify or fabricate brackets. Be
prepared to use washers or beer can shims to get everything square and
parallel. A weak link in all of these that use the caliper scales is
retaining the connector at the caliper head, but that is solvable...
Joel in Florida
======
If so where you get it from and what was the cost?

What's the quality like?

Based on the above link is the DRO and the digital display units good value
for money?

Or is there a better or cheaper way?

thanks
DazFNQ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the reply Joel, some good info here.

DazFNQ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've seen precision calipers used in the verticle axis on a mill and drill presses.

One had SBC ? SBS ?, ?? - readout ability. The digital data log protocol.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

DazFNQ wrote:
Anyone using DRO's (calipers) on their lathe or mill?

Like the ones from
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...=3091&category

If so where you get it from and what was the cost?

What's the quality like?

Based on the above link is the DRO and the digital display units good value
for money?

Or is there a better or cheaper way?

thanks
DazFNQ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-08, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I've seen precision calipers used in the verticle axis on a mill and drill presses.

One had SBC ? SBS ?, ?? - readout ability. The digital data log protocol.

SPC

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

DazFNQ wrote:
Anyone using DRO's (calipers) on their lathe or mill?

Like the ones from
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...=3091&category

If so where you get it from and what was the cost?

What's the quality like?

Based on the above link is the DRO and the digital display units good value
for money?

Or is there a better or cheaper way?

thanks
DazFNQ

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tanks - mind was fuzzy.

The Mill was a big one and a 14" electronic caliper was used.
It was cool and did the job. Just no oil on it to look old!

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/