Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Maintenance: Lathe Vs. Mill

I'm attempting to get an idea of which is more difficult to keep up
maintenance-wise between a lathe and a milling machine of comparable
work envelopes.

I originally thought that perhaps it would be a milling machine because
of it's multi-axis nature, but I'm told otherwise.

And I know that the only ones that would really be able to give
credible answers are those who use both machines about equally(whatever
that means).

So I'd appreciate any opinions based on experience.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mj

Hey Darren,
I guess it might depend on what quality you are looking at too. I own a
cheap Chinese mini-lathe and mini-mill. Both of them needs about the
same amount of maintenance to get them into some sort of usuable
condition. I took the mill apart after I got it and polished the gibs
so they would slide easier and greased it up. This helped immensely. I
did a currsory cleanup of the lathe, but I am going to take it
completely apart one of these days too. I am suspecting it is going to
be about the same amount of work. After that, other than a little oil
here and there, I don't expect quite as much maintenance.
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Owens

OK, lets think about this. Preventive maintenance is the last thing most
production people want, they think its not cost effective.
And how many 50 year old cars are on the road, not many and they made
millions of them. but how many 50 year old machines can you find, just look
at any ad and you see them and there weren't near as many made as cars.
So, as everyone says just a little oil and keep it clean and is adjustment
and they last a lot longer than we will.
As to which needs more, they both need just about the same care, unless your
talking a modern machine, then you need to watch the electronics also.
gary

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm attempting to get an idea of which is more difficult to keep up
maintenance-wise between a lathe and a milling machine of comparable
work envelopes.

I originally thought that perhaps it would be a milling machine because
of it's multi-axis nature, but I'm told otherwise.

And I know that the only ones that would really be able to give
credible answers are those who use both machines about equally(whatever
that means).

So I'd appreciate any opinions based on experience.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

wrote:
I'm attempting to get an idea of which is more difficult to keep up
maintenance-wise between a lathe and a milling machine of comparable
work envelopes.

I originally thought that perhaps it would be a milling machine because
of it's multi-axis nature, but I'm told otherwise.

And I know that the only ones that would really be able to give
credible answers are those who use both machines about equally(whatever
that means).

So I'd appreciate any opinions based on experience.

High-end machines often require VERY little maintenance.
All the gearboxes are in an oil bath, the ways have wipers
and a one-shot or automatic lube pump. Nearly everything
that turns has a set o ball or roller bearings, etc.

Low-end machines often don't even have way wipers, and
all lubing is manual, and you have to remember to lube
all the things that need it.

I you don't have way guards on a mill, I'd strongly suggest
making a set from whatever you can come up with. Rubber
sheet material (oil resistant, of course) can be attached
above the Y way pretty easily to keep the chips from piling
up on the ways. The X way is usually shielded by being
upside down. If you have a Z way on the front of the column,
it may not collect much swarf. If it does, another rubber
sheet can be set up to protect it.

The lathe ways are a bit harder to protect because of the range
of motion of the carriage, so way wipers are the best bet.
A metal cover that holds a wool felt wad against the ways
is the general scheme.

Jon