Lane

Default using lathe as a mill?

"Ignoramus32621" wrote in message
Are there any attachments for lathes that would allow me to use a
lathe as a poor man's mill?

Yes there are. They are called milling attachements. They are very limited
in what they can do however. For an example look at
http://www.campbelltools.com/palmgren.htm look for Lathe Milling
Attachments.

Lane

Milling adapters for lathes are commonly avialable on eBay for Atlas
and other brands of lathes. I picked up one in like new condition (for
a 12" Atlas) about a year ago for roughly $200. This price included the
Atlas milling collet and drawbar.

Harry C.

F. George McDuffee

for details see
http://my.tbaytel.net/jstudio/atlas_lathe_milling.txt
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/oct97/oct97.html

for some attachments see
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1681
http://www.lathemaster.com/MILLING%20ATTACHMENT.htm

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=2111822
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=2111823

GmcD
On 21 Apr 2005 18:31:14 GMT, Ignoramus32621
wrote:

Are there any attachments for lathes that would allow me to use a
lathe as a poor man's mill?

Rex B

F. George McDuffee wrote:
for details see
http://my.tbaytel.net/jstudio/atlas_lathe_milling.txt
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/oct97/oct97.html

for some attachments see
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1681
http://www.lathemaster.com/MILLING%20ATTACHMENT.htm

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=2111822
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=2111823

Or you can make one.
I milled a toolpost for a 10" Atlas out of a block of steel, using only
a Logan lathe with Phase II QC toolholder.
The QC toolholder itself makes a limited-range milling attachment.
With some engenuity the range can be expanded.
An angle block with a small vice attached is a good start, also.
jim rozen

In article , Rex B says...

Or you can make one.

I always thought the Metal Lathe Accessories one was nice:

http://sc-c.com/metallathe/MLA-5.html

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , Ignoramus32621 says...

http://sc-c.com/metallathe/MLA-5.html

I do not know yet if this attachment will fit my lathe -- I have to
clean it up and take pictures and measurements -- but something like
that would be awfully nice. And the price is tolerable.

I actually purchased a milling attachment, new, for my 9" SB
model A at one time. This was before SB prices got outta-hand.

One thing you should know about milling attachments is, you can
really only do very, very light work with them. Cuts are
figured in terms of thousants, not tens of thousanths for the
most part. The rigidity just isn't there.

Also milling attachments tend to go for Big Money (tm) for some
reason. So if you haunt ebay you might get scared off.

Still they're handy if you only have a lathe. I actually purchased
a nice Sloan and Chace hoizontal milling machine for less than
I paid for the milling attachment. This was around the time that
I had upgraded to a 10" SB so there was never any interest in
buying a milling attachment for that.

The small, antique horizontal allowed about ten times the work
overall that the milling attachment did. Heavier cuts, longer
table travels. That sort of thing.

Jim

please reply to:
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Lane lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote:

"Ignoramus32621" wrote in message
Are there any attachments for lathes that would allow me to use a
lathe as a poor man's mill?

Yes there are. They are called milling attachements. They are very limited
in what they can do however. For an example look at
http://www.campbelltools.com/palmgren.htm look for Lathe Milling
Attachments.

And why in the world does he *want* one? He just got a
beautiful Clausing mill which will run rings around any such adaptor.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Tim Williams

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
And why in the world does he *want* one? He just got a
beautiful Clausing mill which will run rings around any such adaptor.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Umm, carve squares you mean?

;o)

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Rex B

Are there any attachments for lathes that would allow me to use a
lathe as a poor man's mill?

Yes there are. They are called milling attachements. They are very limited
in what they can do however. For an example look at
http://www.campbelltools.com/palmgren.htm look for Lathe Milling
Attachments.

And why in the world does he *want* one? He just got a
beautiful Clausing mill which will run rings around any such adaptor.

Enjoy,
DoN.

The acquisition of tooling is it's own reward.
Has nothing to do with logic, else we'd just carry our projects down to
the local job-shop and pay the hourly rate for machining (which would be
cheaper than the acquisition cost of our tools).
ATP*

"Rex B" wrote in message
Are there any attachments for lathes that would allow me to use a
lathe as a poor man's mill?

Yes there are. They are called milling attachements. They are very
limited in what they can do however. For an example look at
http://www.campbelltools.com/palmgren.htm look for Lathe Milling
Attachments.

And why in the world does he *want* one? He just got a
beautiful Clausing mill which will run rings around any such adaptor.

Enjoy,
DoN.

The acquisition of tooling is it's own reward.
Has nothing to do with logic, else we'd just carry our projects down to
the local job-shop and pay the hourly rate for machining (which would be
cheaper than the acquisition cost of our tools).

But it's usually tooling which we believe will expand our mastery of the
physical universe by adding some new capability to our arsenal.