jim rozen

In article , Ignoramus32621 says...

http://sc-c.com/metallathe/MLA-5.html

I do not know yet if this attachment will fit my lathe -- I have to
clean it up and take pictures and measurements -- but something like
that would be awfully nice. And the price is tolerable.

I actually purchased a milling attachment, new, for my 9" SB
model A at one time. This was before SB prices got outta-hand.

One thing you should know about milling attachments is, you can
really only do very, very light work with them. Cuts are
figured in terms of thousants, not tens of thousanths for the
most part. The rigidity just isn't there.

Also milling attachments tend to go for Big Money (tm) for some
reason. So if you haunt ebay you might get scared off.

Still they're handy if you only have a lathe. I actually purchased
a nice Sloan and Chace hoizontal milling machine for less than
I paid for the milling attachment. This was around the time that
I had upgraded to a 10" SB so there was never any interest in
buying a milling attachment for that.

The small, antique horizontal allowed about ten times the work
overall that the milling attachment did. Heavier cuts, longer
table travels. That sort of thing.

Jim

please reply to: