Default I am looking to buy a lathe and mill but don't have any more than $3500 to spend

I have $3500 and want to get a good lathe and mill or combo. Any
suggestions? How about the "shoptask" combo. If I buy separate units how
about Jet... I would like to get something that can turn 30" long parts if
possible.

Thanks, KT
Grant Erwin

I have $3500 and want to get a good lathe and mill or combo. Any
suggestions? How about the "shoptask" combo. If I buy separate units how
about Jet... I would like to get something that can turn 30" long parts if
possible.

Thanks, KT

If I were you I'd get a square column mill-drill and a used 9" or 10"
South Bend or Logan or Sheldon lathe in good condition. This month's
"Home Shop Machinist" has an ad for a nice-looking square column mill-drill.
http://industrialhobbies.com

Everyone wants to go buy a machine from a store and get a great deal. Well,
buying a machine tool isn't like buying a toothbrush or an Ipod. You have to
look. It took me 3 years to find my first lathe, which was a 9" South Bend
Model B. I had to drive 200 miles each way to get it. I loved that lathe but
as always happens, a couple of years after I got it a buddy called me to
let me know of a mint Model A (quickchange) going for cheap in an estate
sale. Longest bed SB ever made for a 9" lathe, 54" which lets me turn 36"
between centers. Once you start looking and learn how to look in your area,
you *will* find machinery. If you're near a city it will have machinery. If
you aren't, there will be farmers, who will have machinery. Take a class at
your local technical college in machine tools and talk to the instructor and
the other students. Look for a local metalworking club. Yes, this is all a
lot of work and trouble, but in my opinion that's what it takes.

You can get that mill-drill for a couple grand (that's assuming you have
to drive to LA to pick it up and you'll need $200 for gas) and you can add
a DRO from Shooting Star for about another $500, that will leave you $1000
for your lathe, which should get you a nice one.

Good luck - GWE
Ahernwill

If you settle on a combo, I think your best choice is the Shopmaster
Bridgemill- its the newest version of the Shoptask line-
www.shoptask.com
Seperates are good if you have the space, but remember you will eventually
need 2 DRO's, 2 benches, 2 coolant pumps, pay freight twice etc.etc.
m...

Tony wrote:
You can get a decent southbend on ebay for $1000 and a Bridgeport for

$2000,
that should leave you with $500 left over for tooling.

wrote in message
m...
I have $3500 and want to get a good lathe and mill or combo. Any
suggestions? How about the "shoptask" combo. If I buy separate

units how
about Jet... I would like to get something that can turn 30" long

parts if
possible.

Thanks, KT

How about a clean Powermatic/Logan 11" and a Bridgeport J-head mill
delivered any where with in 300 miles of Costa Mesa, CA for your $3500.
Delete the Pm/Logan and put in a 12"x24" Jet and save $500. Delete the
B'port and put a a late model heavy drill mill with powerfeed and save
another $500. If you really want to save money I have decent Harbor
Fright 3 in 1 for only $275.00. If you want small used machines call
me at (949) 645-7601 Leigh @MarMahcine in Costa Mesa, CA

Siggy

I'm wishing I lived closer to the left coast so I could check out Leigh's
stuff myself. Any ideas on a reputable machine dealer closer to Texas?
I've been looking around for a larger lathe for over a year and haven't
found *anything* worth buying. I guess maybe since machinery is not as
common around here the pricing is way out of line with the coast.

Robert

"Gunner" wrote in message
On 6 Jan 2005 20:01:30 -0800, wrote:

How about a clean Powermatic/Logan 11" and a Bridgeport J-head mill
delivered any where with in 300 miles of Costa Mesa, CA for your $3500.
Delete the Pm/Logan and put in a 12"x24" Jet and save $500. Delete the
B'port and put a a late model heavy drill mill with powerfeed and save
another $500. If you really want to save money I have decent Harbor
Fright 3 in 1 for only $275.00. If you want small used machines call
me at (949) 645-7601 Leigh @MarMahcine in Costa Mesa, CA

Good looking machines. I saw them today.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio

Mike Henry

"Siggy" wrote in message
m...
I'm wishing I lived closer to the left coast so I could check out Leigh's
stuff myself. Any ideas on a reputable machine dealer closer to Texas?
I've been looking around for a larger lathe for over a year and haven't
found *anything* worth buying. I guess maybe since machinery is not as
common around here the pricing is way out of line with the coast.

There's a guy from Texas (Waco?) on the Practical Machinist board that is
retired and dabbles in used tools on the side. If you are interested, email
me and I'll see if I can dig up contact info on him. Haven't dealt with him
myself but he seems a decent sort.

Mike

Robert

snip

Grant Erwin

Siggy wrote:
I'm wishing I lived closer to the left coast so I could check out Leigh's
stuff myself. Any ideas on a reputable machine dealer closer to Texas?
I've been looking around for a larger lathe for over a year and haven't
found *anything* worth buying. I guess maybe since machinery is not as
common around here the pricing is way out of line with the coast.

Robert

Hey, Texas isn't that far from LA!! Not to mention, it's all flat, and
a great drive too. I've bought from Leigh and they don't come any better
than him. If I were you I'd make that long drive and just treat it like
the adventure it is. While you're at it, you can go visit Gunner's fabled
back yard. I think you can find *anything* in his yard, but it will take
a lot of looking. It helps if you like cats .. :-)

Grant

Grant: I don't want to discourage visitors form Texas but you should
check the map. There is a Continental Divide between here and Texas.
That may not seem like much but it goes up a few more thousand feet
then the Siskiyus and they make going up to your place seem uphill.
Maybe it's just going strgight up the map that makes it seem so
arduious. Leigh@MarMachine

Martin H. Eastburn

Grant Erwin wrote:
Siggy wrote:

I'm wishing I lived closer to the left coast so I could check out
Leigh's stuff myself. Any ideas on a reputable machine dealer closer
to Texas? I've been looking around for a larger lathe for over a year
and haven't found *anything* worth buying. I guess maybe since
machinery is not as common around here the pricing is way out of line
with the coast.

Robert

Hey, Texas isn't that far from LA!! Not to mention, it's all flat, and
a great drive too. I've bought from Leigh and they don't come any better
than him. If I were you I'd make that long drive and just treat it like
the adventure it is. While you're at it, you can go visit Gunner's fabled
back yard. I think you can find *anything* in his yard, but it will take
a lot of looking. It helps if you like cats .. :-)

Grant

And think - close to the beach - the one with water!
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Gunner

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 19:06:33 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Siggy wrote:
I'm wishing I lived closer to the left coast so I could check out Leigh's
stuff myself. Any ideas on a reputable machine dealer closer to Texas?
I've been looking around for a larger lathe for over a year and haven't
found *anything* worth buying. I guess maybe since machinery is not as
common around here the pricing is way out of line with the coast.

Robert

Hey, Texas isn't that far from LA!! Not to mention, it's all flat, and
a great drive too. I've bought from Leigh and they don't come any better
than him. If I were you I'd make that long drive and just treat it like
the adventure it is. While you're at it, you can go visit Gunner's fabled
back yard. I think you can find *anything* in his yard, but it will take
a lot of looking. It helps if you like cats .. :-)

Grant

I give discounts if you Take cats.

Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a
murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you
since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and
taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen
nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be
prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward
you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are
found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human
interaction." John Husvar
Rex

Mike Henry wrote:

"Siggy" wrote in message
m...

I'm wishing I lived closer to the left coast so I could check out Leigh's
stuff myself. Any ideas on a reputable machine dealer closer to Texas?
I've been looking around for a larger lathe for over a year and haven't
found *anything* worth buying. I guess maybe since machinery is not as
common around here the pricing is way out of line with the coast.

There's a guy from Texas (Waco?) on the Practical Machinist board that is
retired and dabbles in used tools on the side. If you are interested, email
me and I'll see if I can dig up contact info on him. Haven't dealt with him
myself but he seems a decent sort.

His name is Lew Something
There are a couple dealers in Ft Worth, and one in Grapevine (Astra).

Rex
RWatson767

I am looking at a dealer who does Birminghan lathes. So an Ebay search for
"lathe birmingham" and find his web site.

I am not sure how good they are but where I live it is probably well worth
looking at.

Bob AZ I am looking to buy a lathe and mill but don't have any more

John Normile

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:24:39 GMT, "Siggy"
wrote:
I'm wishing I lived closer to the left coast so I could check out Leigh's
stuff myself. Any ideas on a reputable machine dealer closer to Texas?
I've been looking around for a larger lathe for over a year and haven't
found *anything* worth buying. I guess maybe since machinery is not as
common around here the pricing is way out of line with the coast.

Robert

Robert
I am a retired Engineer/Toolmaker with a home shop. I have a 21"
Harrison (Colchester) lathe for sale. New in 1980 and well tooled.
Located in central Arkansas

Email back if you are interested.

John Normile
aajnorm at sbcglobal.net

Gunner

On 09 Jan 2005 05:20:18 GMT, (RWatson767) wrote:

I am looking at a dealer who does Birminghan lathes. So an Ebay search for
"lathe birmingham" and find his web site.

I am not sure how good they are but where I live it is probably well worth
looking at.

Bob AZ I am looking to buy a lathe and mill but don't have any more

Birmingham is a rebadged import machine tool. Probably now made in
China and Korea where they used to come primarily from Taiwan.

There are a small number of foundrys that make the basic machines and
various importers bring in either the full machine or most of the full
machine and rebadge them for sale. Hales, Comet, Lux and so forth
are other examples.

The various Birminghams Ive seen were decent machine tools, though
nothing fancy. The usual imports of that grade tend to be copies of
Mori Seikies, etc. Yang made a LOT of these machines that were
rebadged.

The standing joke is they are all made by the Red Dragon Noodle and
Machine Tool Co.

The bigger they are, the better they seem to be. Most of the imports
from about 14" and up seem to be rather excellent lathes. Ive worked
on a number of them.
Finding parts is a bit more interesting...

Anyone know who imported the 1/2 scale kneemills under the name Hales?
I need some lead screw bronze nuts.

Gunner

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better,
on average, than the citizens of Baltimore.
True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee,
but why this is more stylish than
sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know."
-- P.J O'Rourke (1989)
William Gray

KT,

Take a look at Metal Web News' equipment for sale listings. Many lathes and
mills there. (www.metalwebnews.com)

METAL WEB NEWS

Bill Gray

==========

wrote in message
m...
I have $3500 and want to get a good lathe and mill or combo. Any
suggestions? How about the "shoptask" combo. If I buy separate units how
about Jet... I would like to get something that can turn 30" long parts if
possible.

Thanks, KT

(mis)adventures moving a Nichols mill MJ news Metalworking 8 December 6th 04 04:31 PM
need owners manual for a mill and a lathe Harley Metalworking 2 July 26th 04 03:57 PM
Lathe moved Paul Metalworking 10 March 12th 04 01:42 PM
Hobby shops with micro lathe and mill equipment? David Knaack Metalworking 16 January 21st 04 09:38 AM
Boring, Lathe or Mill? tomcas Metalworking 11 September 5th 03 10:47 PM