Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default First lathe project - replacment knobs for my router fence

As I talked about in my post about the die I made in my machine shop class,
I mentioned I spent the whole class working on the mill and only had one
night left to play with the lathe.

Last night was the last class and I got to work on the lathe and made two
replacement knobs for my router table with the help of Alex the shop
assistant showing me how to work the lathe.

Here's the result of my first night playing with a lathe...

http://newsreader.com/router_fence_knobs1.jpg

http://newsreader.com/router_fence_knobs2.jpg

The first picture is of the two knobs I made and then powder coated today
along with the old plastic T-handle knob which broke the first week I had
the router table (many years ago).

The second picture is of the knob in use on the router table.

Because both the plastic handles broke I've never really been able to
tighten down the fence as well as it needed to be. It was good enough that
I never bothered to do anything about it, but always a pain because I had
to be careful not to push too hard against the fence because of the danger
it might move. I could have just picked up a couple of nuts and used a
wrench on it but it was not bad enough to do that. But still, it's bugged
me all these years that I had to deal with the broken handles.

I didn't get the knurling correct - still need to work on how to do a good
job on that, but even with the poor job of that, it functions just fine for
what I needed it to do.

Learning how to do these simple metalworking projects just totally changes
my view of what I can build and fix now. It's just such a joy to have
those knobs fixed and to know how to make these sorts of things. But now,
I've got to add a basic lathe to my wish list and learn more about what you
can do with it...

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Learning how to do these simple metalworking projects just totally changes
my view of what I can build and fix now. It's just such a joy to have
those knobs fixed and to know how to make these sorts of things. But now,
I've got to add a basic lathe to my wish list and learn more about what
you
can do with it...

OH NO!!!

You just contracted metal mangler's disease. There is no cure. Frequent
purchase of new machine tools helps control the symptoms.

Karl " had the disease for 25 years now" Townsend

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 23, 4:29*pm, (Curt Welch) wrote:
Here's the result of my first night playing with a lathe...
http://newsreader.com/router_fence_knobs1.jpg
http://newsreader.com/router_fence_knobs2.jpg

Curt Welch * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://CurtWelch.Com/

Nice job!

This double-ended nut sorting tool is one of the most useful things
I've made, and good practice. Note that some of the coarse threads are
clipped to the minor diameter of the next larger size.

http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...65927027495682

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jul 23, 4:29=A0pm, (Curt Welch) wrote:
Here's the result of my first night playing with a lathe...
http://newsreader.com/router_fence_knobs1.jpg
http://newsreader.com/router_fence_knobs2.jpg

Nice job!

This double-ended nut sorting tool is one of the most useful things
I've made, and good practice. Note that some of the coarse threads are
clipped to the minor diameter of the next larger size.

Yeah, cool idea. Nice set of projects. One more thing to try one day...

http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...16876592702749
5682

Jim Wilkins

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:
Learning how to do these simple metalworking projects just totally
changes my view of what I can build and fix now. It's just such a joy
to have those knobs fixed and to know how to make these sorts of
things. But now, I've got to add a basic lathe to my wish list and
learn more about what you
can do with it...

OH NO!!!

You just contracted metal mangler's disease. There is no cure. Frequent
purchase of new machine tools helps control the symptoms.

Karl " had the disease for 25 years now" Townsend

I've had a serious tool addiction since I was very young. I just can't get
enough of them. And now with my introduction to metal working, it's just
opened the door for another endless list of items I just MUST HAVE NOW....

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 23, 4:29*pm, (Curt Welch) wrote:

I didn't get the knurling correct - still need to work on how to do a good
job on that,

Feed much(!) harder on cross feed. The stock material should be
noticably bending away from the knurl (unless you're using a center in
the taistock).

Regards,

Robin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 23, 10:05*pm, (Curt Welch) wrote:

Yeah, I didn't really push it that hard (don't want to over-force anything
on the first day you play with it). *This lathe also has a problem with the
cross feed where it was extremely hard to turn the cross feed crank making
it even harder to tell how much force was actually being applied to to the
part.

The stock material was 1 1/8 aluminum rod (don't know what type of aluminum
but probably something simple and cheap like 6061) with maybe 6 inches
sticking out the chuck. *No center in the tailstock supporting it.

We were also using the power feed to move the tool across the piece and I
think it was probably set too fast. *I was told there are charts you can
find to tell you how fast to set these things for different types and sizes
of material to get optimal results.

Blah blah blah. Just push harder ;-)

Regards,

Robin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 23, 11:45*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jul 23, 4:29*pm, (Curt Welch) wrote:

Here's the result of my first night playing with a lathe...
http://newsreader.com/router_fence_knobs1.jpg
http://newsreader.com/router_fence_knobs2.jpg

Curt Welch * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://CurtWelch.Com/

Nice job!

This double-ended nut sorting tool is one of the most useful things
I've made, and good practice. Note that some of the coarse threads are
clipped to the minor diameter of the next larger size.

http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...to#51687659270...

Jim Wilkins

Sent the link to the bandsaw mill to my brother.
Thanks
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 7:35*am, " wrote:
On Jul 23, 11:45*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...to#51687659270...
Jim Wilkins

Sent the link to the bandsaw mill to my brother.
Thanks
Karl

Does he plan to make one? I've heard that trailer wheels and bearings
work well, too. I grabbed the Kawasaki wheels from a friend who had
crashed it. They already had a sprocket and he had burned the rear
tire flat to the cords, the right shape for a bandsaw. The front tire
was difficult to flatten to match.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Regards,

Robin

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/

http://NewsReader.Com/****, makes me want to go out and order a lathe just
so I can figure this
one thing out! A few clicks of the mouse and I could have one here in
days! Damn, it's just so tempting.

Its like ordering another lathe, just to repair the old one.

xman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-24, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

They already had a sprocket and he had burned the rear
tire flat to the cords, the right shape for a bandsaw. The front tire
was difficult to flatten to match.

Actually -- a bandsaw wheel should have a crown to cause the
blade to walk to the center of the wheel's width. (The blade climbs up
any slope on the wheel, so a crown will cause it to be self-centering.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-24, Jim Wilkins wrote:

* * * * [ ... ]

* * * * * * They already had a sprocket and he had burned the rear
tire flat to the cords, the right shape for a bandsaw. The front tire
was difficult to flatten to match.

* * * * Actually -- a bandsaw wheel should have a crown to cause the
blade to walk to the center of the wheel's width. *(The blade climbs up
any slope on the wheel, so a crown will cause it to be self-centering.

* * * * Enjoy,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

Air pressure crowned the rear wheel nicely and I had much less trouble
than I expected getting the blade to track. The front tire had angled
sides and a rounded top, sort of like the metric thread profile.
Coarse sandpaper on a 7" angle grinder took it down but not very fast.
If you look for used wheels to make a sawmill, don't plan to reshape
the tread too much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 6:06*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jul 24, 7:35*am, " wrote:

On Jul 23, 11:45*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...to#51687659270....
Jim Wilkins

Sent the link to the bandsaw mill to my brother.
Thanks
Karl

Does he plan to make one? I've heard that trailer wheels and bearings
work well, too. I grabbed the Kawasaki wheels from a friend who had
crashed it. They already had a sprocket and he had burned the rear
tire flat to the cords, the right shape for a bandsaw. The front tire
was difficult to flatten to match.

He's considering it. He'd like to buy a used mill. He's got 33 acres
of field and forest. He's got a 5hp bandsaw in his shop for resawing
but only has the chainsaw guide that rides on a 2x4 to break down the
logs.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 25, 8:25*am, " wrote:

Does he plan to make [a sawmill]?

He's considering it. He'd like to buy a used mill. He's got 33 acres
of field and forest. He's got a 5hp bandsaw in his shop for resawing
but only has the chainsaw guide that rides on a 2x4 to break down the
logs.
Karl

I bought the Harbor Freight guide and reworked it to fit a 2X6. I
can't find it now to describe how but IIRC the moveable guide that
won't move out quite far enough was replaced with carriage screws,
head inward.

My previous version of a sawmill was a woodworking bandsaw turned on
its side and mounted on caster wheels so it rolled down a track. That
saw was underpowered but the general idea was sound. The tracks were
on the sides of my trailer. I'd load a log into the bed and crank up
the tongue jack to make the saw run downhill. A roller under the lower
blade guide ran on the upright face of the log to resist the cutting
force, otherwise the log and saw would vibrate badly.

People who have bought those saws often will set up on your woodlot
and cut for so much a board foot. The commercial ones often have much
better log handling attachments. Once the logs are squared into cants
they don't roll, which may create handling problems. I used a large-
wheeled shop crane pulled by my tractor to move them around and a set
of 12' shear legs, which requires a lot of rigging gear, to load the
sawmill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 25, 7:15*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jul 25, 8:25*am, " wrote:

[...]

Interesting idea. I think I read about that being done somewhere.
He'd rather saw it himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:23:29 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 23 Jul 2008 22:01:56 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Curt Welch) quickly quoth:

"Karl Townsend" wrote:
Learning how to do these simple metalworking projects just totally
changes my view of what I can build and fix now. It's just such a joy
to have those knobs fixed and to know how to make these sorts of
things. But now, I've got to add a basic lathe to my wish list and
learn more about what you
can do with it...

OH NO!!!

You just contracted metal mangler's disease. There is no cure. Frequent
purchase of new machine tools helps control the symptoms.

Karl " had the disease for 25 years now" Townsend

I've had a serious tool addiction since I was very young. I just can't get
enough of them. And now with my introduction to metal working, it's just
opened the door for another endless list of items I just MUST HAVE NOW....

Ditto here. I used to think I was a woodworker and metalworker. Now
that I'm honest with myself, I'm referring to myself as "a tool
collector who occasionally does decent woodworking and metalworking."

Otherwise known as an old phfart putterer like me.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Have project, need router? Malcolm Hoar Woodworking 7 October 22nd 07 09:53 PM
Router Fence Garry Collins Woodworking 5 September 17th 06 03:35 AM
REQ: Router fence and Router lift articles SeeAll Woodworking 1 December 24th 05 07:38 PM
Which router fence Andrew Crabtree Woodworking 11 July 7th 05 02:04 PM
TS fence use with router Rob Mitchell Woodworking 12 January 21st 05 12:47 PM