Andrew Crabtree

Default Which router fence

I've had a home built router fence for some years now that I am looking to
replace. It has been fine, except that I find myself doing a lot more edge
forming and jointing these days, and having to shim the outfeed table is a
major pain. I would like a new fence where I can adjust the in and outfeed
fences separately and without shims. Aside from Freud are there any
options? Any opinions on them?

Thanks,
Andrew

Duane Bozarth

Andrew Crabtree wrote:

I've had a home built router fence for some years now that I am looking to
replace. It has been fine, except that I find myself doing a lot more edge
forming and jointing these days, and having to shim the outfeed table is a
major pain. I would like a new fence where I can adjust the in and outfeed
fences separately and without shims. Aside from Freud are there any
options? Any opinions on them?

I've not seen the Freud but none of those specifically for router tables
I have seen were worth anything--no way to keep them parallel for
starters.

I use the fence from the Delta LD shaper w/ a modified mounting
bracket. I have on occasion seen them on eBay for not much as there
isn't a high demand for the smaller shapers.

Sorry I don't have any router-specific suggestions...
David

Andrew Crabtree wrote:
Aside from Freud are there any
options? Any opinions on them?

Thanks,
Andrew

Yes. Check out Jointech and Incra fences. I have the Twin Linear from
Incra. It has separate fences that can be offset an ungodly amount. You
can find Incra at Woodpeckers which is www.woodpeck.com

I like my Incra tremendously. there are newer models than the one I have.

Dave

Andrew Crabtree

"David" wrote in message
Andrew Crabtree wrote:
can find Incra at Woodpeckers which is www.woodpeck.com

Crap, I completely forgot about the incra offerings. I'm going to have to
get permission for that one

Thanks,
Andrew

Steve Peterson

I have two home-built fences; one is solid and one is split. The split one
is adjustable on the outfeed side, with two knobs that tighten it, with
about 1/8 inch adjust. It works fine, and is easy to adjust. I use a
straightedge to check on my alignment.

Steve

Andrew Crabtree wrote:

I've had a home built router fence for some years now that I am looking
to replace. It has been fine, except that I find myself doing a lot more
edge forming and jointing these days, and having to shim the outfeed
table is a major pain. I would like a new fence where I can adjust the
in and outfeed fences separately and without shims. Aside from Freud are
there any options? Any opinions on them?

Thanks,
Andrew

I'll second the praises of Incra. Saved up the pennies for a long time
and put the Wonder Fence in combination with a table saw fence. It is
not cheap but is well worth the investment. At the very least join
their e-mail club (its free). They put different things on sale each
week only to those who belong. The package I purchased was discounted
over 10% and had free shipping.

Daryl

Andrew Crabtree wrote:
"David" wrote in message
Andrew Crabtree wrote:
can find Incra at Woodpeckers which is www.woodpeck.com

Crap, I completely forgot about the incra offerings. I'm going to have to
get permission for that one

Thanks,
Andrew

David

Andrew Crabtree wrote:
"David" wrote in message

Andrew Crabtree wrote:
can find Incra at Woodpeckers which is www.woodpeck.com

Crap, I completely forgot about the incra offerings. I'm going to have to
get permission for that one

Thanks,
Andrew

Tell her it would be the last router fence you'll ever need.

Dave
Mark Wells

Seems to me you could use a 2x4 with veneer (poster board, etc.) glued
to one end, but I certainly understand the pleasure of spending money.
The Veritas fence is supposed to be good and you can buy little
jointing shims for it.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43053,43885

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...885,42837&ap=1

Mark

charlie b

Andrew Crabtree wrote:

I've had a home built router fence for some years now that I am looking to
replace. It has been fine, except that I find myself doing a lot more edge
forming and jointing these days, and having to shim the outfeed table is a
major pain. I would like a new fence where I can adjust the in and outfeed
fences separately and without shims. Aside from Freud are there any
options? Any opinions on them?

Thanks,
Andrew

Yes. JoinTech. In and outfeed fences each adjustable.
For other work - replacable zero clearance inserts,
positionalble in 0.001 in increments ... And you
can do dovetails and box/finger joints AND sliding
dovetails etc.. Have one and it works great.

www.jointech.com

charlie b

Another option: http://www.patwarner.com/images/bdpwf.jpg
Not for everybody, not for big cutters, but a lot of application
nevertheless.