Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] robinstoddart@gmail.com is offline

Default First lathe project - replacment knobs for my router fence

On Jul 23, 10:05*pm, (Curt Welch) wrote:

Yeah, I didn't really push it that hard (don't want to over-force anything
on the first day you play with it). *This lathe also has a problem with the
cross feed where it was extremely hard to turn the cross feed crank making
it even harder to tell how much force was actually being applied to to the
part.

The stock material was 1 1/8 aluminum rod (don't know what type of aluminum
but probably something simple and cheap like 6061) with maybe 6 inches
sticking out the chuck. *No center in the tailstock supporting it.

We were also using the power feed to move the tool across the piece and I
think it was probably set too fast. *I was told there are charts you can
find to tell you how fast to set these things for different types and sizes
of material to get optimal results.

Blah blah blah. Just push harder ;-)

Regards,

Robin