Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New toy -- Supermax 16VS

Supermax 16VS knee-mill

I bought it about 4 years ago, but I just recently prepared
the location for it (and the seller got a little antsy about
what must have seemed like permanent storage).

I have everything hooked up except for a 3-phase synthesizer
("Phase drive"), which is on order.

It's an '87 model with an Anilam Crusader "M" controller,
and the seller threw in 24 tool holders which seem to
list for several hundred apiece (which would be worth about
as much as I paid for the whole package).

I've been able to make the bed move around under CNC control.
I bought a Kurt vise for it, got dedicated wrenches for the several
most common adjustments (so I don't permanently "rob" my set
of general purpose wrenches), a clamp kit to fit the t-slots.

Yeong Chin doesn't list this model anymore for documentation.
I sent them e-mail, but if they don't come through, is there any
source for manuals for a machine like this? I mainly need the
lube specs and a function description for a few of the more
obscure (unlabeled) knobs on this machine.
--Pete
Peter W. Meek
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Peter,

I can't help with the hardware info but I did own one of those Anilam
Crusader controls. Pretty nice things with some features my latest
mill does not have.

I used a DOS version of comEDITcnc for comms with it, not sure if it
is still available but maybe a search on comEDITcnc will throw some
light.

I can search an old computer and see if I have any files for the
Anilam and let you know the comms parameters etc. I seem to remember
it used a standard PC serial cable with no crossover for 2-3. It also
needs % as the first and last characters in the gcode file. The first
one triggers it to start-to-save when uploading to it and the last one
signals the end of file.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, no answer from Yeong Chin so far. I guess I'm
going to have to look elsewhere for a manual for this mill.
I would have been glad to pay them for a manual, or even
a Xerox or pdf version, but they seem uninterested in
support for older models.

--Pete

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:38:22 -0400, Peter W. Meek
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 23, 2:38 pm, Peter W. Meek wrote:
[...]

ebay item 150266467102 (doesn't say what year)
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERMAX-YCM-16V...QQcmdZViewItem

There's money to be made on obsolete manuals, I guess. I wonder how
many copies he's sold so far?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:23:04 -0400, Peter W. Meek
wrote:

Well, no answer from Yeong Chin so far. I guess I'm
going to have to look elsewhere for a manual for this mill.
I would have been glad to pay them for a manual, or even
a Xerox or pdf version, but they seem uninterested in
support for older models.

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:38:22 -0400, Peter W. Meek
wrote:

Supermax 16VS knee-mill

It's an '87 model with an Anilam Crusader "M" controller,

Yeong Chin doesn't list this model anymore for documentation.
I sent them e-mail, but if they don't come through, is there any
source for manuals for a machine like this? I mainly need the
lube specs and a function description for a few of the more
obscure (unlabeled) knobs on this machine.

The base machine, other than the box ways, is close enough to a
Bridgeport that lube and operation specs for a BP are applicable.
Spindle oil (Velocite #10) in the spindle. Medium way oil (Vactra #4)
for the ways.

I assume the mystery knobs are on the CNC control. Have you tried
Anilam?
http://www.anilam.com/anilam.asp?mod=article&actid=27

If you do find instructions for adjusting the ways I'd love to hear
what you find. The multiple gibs and Turcited surfaces make adjusting
by feel difficult, if not impossible. Mine is a '96 manual machine.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've got this supermax and manual:
http://www.myerstc.com/Inventory/Cin...ox_Column.html

Is it like yours?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:02:43 -0500, "karl townsend"
wrote:

I've got this supermax and manual:
http://www.myerstc.com/Inventory/Cin...ox_Column.html

Is it like yours?

This is a manual YCM-16VS like mine:
http://www.hildebrandmachinery.com/06364-1.jpg
Smaller than yours, but larger than a BP. 9x49 table and weighs about
2600#. Does your manual have instructions on adjusting the table,
saddle, and column gibs?

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Smaller than yours, but larger than a BP. 9x49 table and weighs about
2600#. Does your manual have instructions on adjusting the table,
saddle, and column gibs?

I'm emailing from the road right now, but I think it does. The manual is
written in chinglish, bit hard to follow at times.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've got this supermax and manual:
http://www.myerstc.com/Inventory/Cin...ox_Column.html

Is it like yours?

Close but not quite. However, the knob just above the controls
for the power drawbar (two red buttons marked in/out) in the first
picture is one of my mystery knobs. What does it do?
--Pete
Peter W. Meek
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I've got this supermax and manual:
http://www.myerstc.com/Inventory/Cin...ox_Column.html

Is it like yours?

Close but not quite. However, the knob just above the controls
for the power drawbar (two red buttons marked in/out) in the first
picture is one of my mystery knobs. What does it do?

It selects the quill downfeed rate. The knob on the opposite side of
the head engages the feed. Leave it disengaged unless you're using the
downfeed. The feed direction is selected by pushing or pulling the
little knurled knob that sticks out the front of the head to the left
of the quill scale. There's a feed trip mechanism built into the quill
stop that is often broken in used machines, but is easy to repair.

All of this is identical to a Bridgeport. I think Iggy has posted
scans of a BP manual somewhere.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:49:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

ebay item 150266467102 (doesn't say what year)
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERMAX-YCM-16V...QQcmdZViewItem

There's money to be made on obsolete manuals, I guess. I wonder how
many copies he's sold so far?

Dunno, but he just sold one more. Thanks for the pointer.

--Pete
Peter W. Meek
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:38:22 -0400, Peter W. Meek
wrote:

Supermax 16VS knee-mill

Thanks to all who responded. I have a manual on the way and
possibly some answers to questions I asked and that others have
asked will be answered. If there is any info on adjusting
gibs I will post a followup.
--Pete
Peter W. Meek
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:52:38 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

Close but not quite. However, the knob just above the controls
for the power drawbar (two red buttons marked in/out) in the first
picture is one of my mystery knobs. What does it do?

It selects the quill downfeed rate. The knob on the opposite side of
the head engages the feed. Leave it disengaged unless you're using the
downfeed. The feed direction is selected by pushing or pulling the
little knurled knob that sticks out the front of the head to the left
of the quill scale. There's a feed trip mechanism built into the quill
stop that is often broken in used machines, but is easy to repair.

Ah. Then a moot point in my case as that is all managed by the
Anilam Z-axis servo.
--Pete
Peter W. Meek
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/