Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Seamed Belt for South Bend lathe

I have a 9" South Bend lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

Thanks, Jim
)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

Thanks, Jim

Jim

Google "lathe belt splice". Maybe a kit is vailable on Ebay or the
like

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try "Link Belts". They are made in a large number of vee section pieces of
leather that attach together with metal pins. They can be made to any length
and can be installed without removing the pulley or motor

wrote in message
I have a 9" South Bend lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

Thanks, Jim
)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 11:41*pm, wrote:
I have a 9" South Bend *lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

Thanks, Jim
)

Hi Jim,

I don't know where you are located, but try "Grainger Industrial
Supply". It is a national chain and supplier. They have the belts
here in Melbourne, FL.. I believe the cost is about $25. for five feet
of belting

Dick Hahn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 04:37:01 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor
qualm, Dick quickly quoth:

On Jul 21, 11:41*pm, wrote:
I have a 9" South Bend *lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

Thanks, Jim
)

Hi Jim,

I don't know where you are located, but try "Grainger Industrial
Supply". It is a national chain and supplier. They have the belts
here in Melbourne, FL.. I believe the cost is about $25. for five feet
of belting

I got some of this for my Grizzly ww bandsaur about 5 years ago and it
has worked out well.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 11:41 pm, wrote:
I have a 9" South Bend lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

Thanks, Jim
)

Hi Jim,

I don't know where you are located, but try "Grainger Industrial
Supply". It is a national chain and supplier. They have the belts
here in Melbourne, FL.. I believe the cost is about $25. for five feet
of belting

I got some of this for my Grizzly ww bandsaur about 5 years ago and it
has worked out well.

They still make them for bandsaurs? How about tablesaurs? They're extinct,
but some of us still need replacement parts.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:48:48 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

.. .

On Jul 21, 11:41 pm, wrote:
I have a 9" South Bend lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

Thanks, Jim
)

Hi Jim,

I don't know where you are located, but try "Grainger Industrial
Supply". It is a national chain and supplier. They have the belts
here in Melbourne, FL.. I believe the cost is about $25. for five feet
of belting

I got some of this for my Grizzly ww bandsaur about 5 years ago and it
has worked out well.

They still make them for bandsaurs? How about tablesaurs? They're extinct,
but some of us still need replacement parts.

Ayup. Dina (my ancient Davis & Wells saur) is from the '20s and has a
flat, wide motor pulley, so I can't use a link belt on her. But link
belts work fine on fixed-width pulleys of all sizes. They're quieter
and do either remove or reduce the belt vibration by a large margin.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni
---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grumpy wrote:
Try "Link Belts". They are made in a large number of vee section pieces of
leather that attach together with metal pins. They can be made to any length
and can be installed without removing the pulley or motor

What you have described is called "Brammer belt" ,its a bitch to pull
apart and re-join because its not pliable when new and you have mongrel
steel pins flying around .It's still available and is expensive.
The new type is called Power Twist ,made of a poly type material , no
pins, much easier to pull apart and rejoin and a lot cheaper to buy.

http://www.motionind.com.au/DisplayP...rt_no=09857911

Comes in A,B, and C sections

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 22, 9:00 am, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:41:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I have a 9" South Bend lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

I, too, replaced my clickclickclick leather belt when it finally went
on the 9" SouthBend. Used an automobile serpentine belt. Cut it to
length and then stitched it together with the heaviest monofilament
fishing line laying around. Kept the line in between the grooves of
the belt. Nice and quiet and has been running for a year now.
BTW- Don't forget to release the belt tension when you are not using
the machine regardless of material.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 23, 8:11*am, "Kevin(Bluey)" wrote:
Grumpy wrote:
*Try "Link Belts". They are made in a large number of vee section pieces of
leather that attach together with metal pins. They can be made to any length
and can be installed without removing the pulley or motor

What you have described is called "Brammer *belt" ,its a bitch to pull
apart and re-join because its not pliable when new *and you have mongrel
steel pins flying around .It's still available and is expensive.
The new type is called Power Twist ,made of a poly type material , no
pins, much easier to pull apart and rejoin and a lot cheaper to buy.

http://www.motionind.com.au/DisplayP...rt_no=09857911

Comes in A,B, and C sections

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Is the power twist belt by Brammer? If not, who sesll sthem?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 25, 12:41*am, davemwave wrote:
On Jul 22, 9:00 am, Brian Lawson wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:41:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I have a 9" South Bend *lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

I, too, replaced my clickclickclick leather belt when it finally went
on the 9" SouthBend. *Used an automobile serpentine belt. *Cut it to
length and then stitched it together with the heaviest monofilament
fishing line laying around. *Kept the line in between the grooves of
the belt. *Nice and quiet and has been running for a year now.
BTW- Don't forget to release the belt tension when you are not using
the machine regardless of material.

I read another note on that same thing where the guy used .035 mig
welding wire for the seam. I may try that because it is a very good
belt and the wire should never touch the pulley if you run it on the
grooved side. I also have some kevlar fishing line but it is tough to
cut - you need a very sharp scissors.

Thanks, Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I have a 9" South Bend lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

Take a (used is OK, because you will be using it groove side out-
there must be NO grease or oil on the belt.) automotive serpentine
belt.
On a disk sander put a 5° bevel on one cut end. Place on the machine,
mark, cut, and bevel a mated overlap.

Use cyanoacrylate (Crazy Glue, etc.) gel type adhesive, and clamp
together between a couple of pieces of thick polyethylene (prevents
the ooze from sticking to the C-clamps)
When on the lathe, the inside lap seam edge should be running in the
trailing direction for smoothness. You can sand the lap. Excess
adhesive will wipe off with acetone.

Mine has been running in a production envrionment for about five years
now.

I tried the Gator clamps, the Heat-bonded urethanes, and the Button
together types, and have found the flat rubber serpentine belt to be
the easiest to prepare and the smoothest running.

The serpentine belts for most common cars or trucks are long enough to
make almost two belts for my SB Mod A. They should be plenty long
enough for your motor-under.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The belts are used on lathes and assembly lines.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-b...&qryType=GRPSG

I hate the search engines that come up with that -

http://www.woodworkingshop.com search for Power Twist or part number FD40830
FD04181 and FD04050

I use it on my metal lathe and have done so for a number of years.
I also put it on my wood lathe.

I bought a box (50') (mostly gone now) from MSCdirect some years ago.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Grumpy wrote:
Try "Link Belts". They are made in a large number of vee section pieces of
leather that attach together with metal pins. They can be made to any length
and can be installed without removing the pulley or motor

What you have described is called "Brammer belt" ,its a bitch to pull
apart and re-join because its not pliable when new and you have mongrel
steel pins flying around .It's still available and is expensive.
The new type is called Power Twist ,made of a poly type material , no
pins, much easier to pull apart and rejoin and a lot cheaper to buy.

http://www.motionind.com.au/DisplayP...rt_no=09857911

Comes in A,B, and C sections

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Is the power twist belt by Brammer? If not, who sesll sthem?

13" South Bend lathe value Steve Peterson Metalworking 15 August 19th 05 01:16 AM
South Bend Lathe Don Metalworking 4 March 25th 05 11:36 PM
Belt Length for South Bend James Peverill Metalworking 2 April 16th 04 10:58 PM
south bend 10L lathe Cuezilla Metalworking 3 August 1st 03 03:15 AM