Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grunty Grogan Grunty Grogan is offline

Default Seamed Belt for South Bend lathe

wrote in message
I have a 9" South Bend lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

Take a (used is OK, because you will be using it groove side out-
there must be NO grease or oil on the belt.) automotive serpentine
belt.
On a disk sander put a 5° bevel on one cut end. Place on the machine,
mark, cut, and bevel a mated overlap.

Use cyanoacrylate (Crazy Glue, etc.) gel type adhesive, and clamp
together between a couple of pieces of thick polyethylene (prevents
the ooze from sticking to the C-clamps)
When on the lathe, the inside lap seam edge should be running in the
trailing direction for smoothness. You can sand the lap. Excess
adhesive will wipe off with acetone.

Mine has been running in a production envrionment for about five years
now.

I tried the Gator clamps, the Heat-bonded urethanes, and the Button
together types, and have found the flat rubber serpentine belt to be
the easiest to prepare and the smoothest running.

The serpentine belts for most common cars or trucks are long enough to
make almost two belts for my SB Mod A. They should be plenty long
enough for your motor-under.