Don

Default South Bend Lathe

I picked up a 1919 model South Bend Lathe, 16" X 96", which needed some
TLC. I'm beginning to restore. Anyone with experience on this type of
older lathe and a restoration?

Thanks!
Karl Townsend

I picked up a 1919 model South Bend Lathe, 16" X 96", which needed some
TLC. I'm beginning to restore. Anyone with experience on this type of
older lathe and a restoration?

Thanks!

I didn't know southbend made lathes that large. There was an excellent
series of articles in HSM magazine that just finished on restoring an old
lathe. Well worth the read. If you have Babbitt bearings, there's a bunch
of books at Lindsay publications on how to rebuild them.

If you have to do a lot of scraping, there's a book by Connelly, I don't
remember the exact title, that's the definitive bible for machine
restoration. A fellow on this NG from a while back also put out a video all
about scraping. Again, I don't remember his name. I've got CRS, that's not
Cold Rolled Steel, It's Can't Remember S$%^

Karl

Robert Swinney

The book Karl mentioned is: "Machine Tool Reconditioning and Applications
of Hand Scraping", Edward F. Connelly, Machine Tool Publications, St.Paul,
U.S.A.

Bob Swinney
"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message ink.net...

I picked up a 1919 model South Bend Lathe, 16" X 96", which needed some
TLC. I'm beginning to restore. Anyone with experience on this type of
older lathe and a restoration?

Thanks!

I didn't know southbend made lathes that large. There was an excellent
series of articles in HSM magazine that just finished on restoring an old
lathe. Well worth the read. If you have Babbitt bearings, there's a bunch
of books at Lindsay publications on how to rebuild them.

If you have to do a lot of scraping, there's a book by Connelly, I don't
remember the exact title, that's the definitive bible for machine
restoration. A fellow on this NG from a while back also put out a video
all about scraping. Again, I don't remember his name. I've got CRS, that's
not Cold Rolled Steel, It's Can't Remember S$%^

Karl

Orrin Iseminger

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:28:12 -0600, Don wrote:

I picked up a 1919 model South Bend Lathe, 16" X 96", which needed some
TLC. I'm beginning to restore. Anyone with experience on this type of
older lathe and a restoration?

Thanks!

My next-door neighbor has a 1919 SB lathe that comes close to those
dimensions, perhaps they're even the same.

I've cleaned it up and started installing a drive motor for it, but
haven't finished the job, yet. It's a nice lathe. If I had the room,
I wouldn't mind owning it, even though it doesn't have a quick-change
gear system.

Orrin

South Bend lathe, gigantic [email protected] Metalworking 16 March 8th 05 04:25 AM
South Bend 9" Lathe: Bowl Turning Tool Rest? Brian Wells Woodturning 1 March 10th 04 05:50 AM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
South Bend lathe with bad babbit bearing ..help! Ken Moffett Metalworking 4 August 5th 03 05:52 AM
south bend 10L lathe Cuezilla Metalworking 3 August 1st 03 03:15 AM