James Peverill

Default Belt Length for South Bend

I need to order a new flat drive belt for my 13" south bend lathe. I
am going to get an endless belt. Can anyone recommend a way to
measure/calculate the correct circumference for it? The old one looks
like it has been badly remelted together a few times, and I think is the
wrong length. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

james
Trevor Jones

James Peverill wrote:

I need to order a new flat drive belt for my 13" south bend lathe. I
am going to get an endless belt. Can anyone recommend a way to
measure/calculate the correct circumference for it? The old one looks
like it has been badly remelted together a few times, and I think is the
wrong length. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

james

Circumferance? You want to know how long a belt to get, right? Then you
want the total length.

String around the pulleys. No, really.

Assuming that the belt that is on there is original (remelted or not) it
works, so must be at least close to the right length. Measure it.
Check the adjuster. Is it all the way to it's limit? If so, run it to
about the first third or so of it's travel, then resort to the string.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Dave Young

James,

According to the FAQ at Yahoo's South Bend Forum, the leather belt is as
follows:

13" Underdrive Cabinet (3 step cone) 5/32" thick, 2" wide and 61-1/2"
long
13" Underdrive Cabinet (4 step cone) 5/32" thick, 1 1/2" wide and
61-1/2" long

You may want to consider joining this group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/ as the expertise there
runs from newbie to very experienced machinists all willing to
learn/teach......

Dave Young