Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
davemwave davemwave is offline

Default Seamed Belt for South Bend lathe

On Jul 22, 9:00 am, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:41:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I have a 9" South Bend lathe with the motor underneath and it needs a
new belt. I have heard that there is a seamed belt that goes together
with a velcro type seam but I have not been able to find one in any
search. Does anyone know of a source for this type of belt?

I, too, replaced my clickclickclick leather belt when it finally went
on the 9" SouthBend. Used an automobile serpentine belt. Cut it to
length and then stitched it together with the heaviest monofilament
fishing line laying around. Kept the line in between the grooves of
the belt. Nice and quiet and has been running for a year now.
BTW- Don't forget to release the belt tension when you are not using
the machine regardless of material.