Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PICTURES -- Lathe transport, cleanup etc (it runs)

Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

I just started working on it. The good news is that it seems to run
and switch speeds, power feeds etc.

The bad news is that it has considerable wear, as far as I could
tell. Also what I thought was a on/off/brake lever, does not seem to
switch anything so the lathe is on when the speed selector is on. The
speed selector has five positions, REV2, REV1, OFF, FWD1, FWD2. I will
post a separate question about it.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24584 wrote:
Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

I just started working on it. The good news is that it seems to run
and switch speeds, power feeds etc.

The bad news is that it has considerable wear, as far as I could
tell. Also what I thought was a on/off/brake lever, does not seem to
switch anything so the lathe is on when the speed selector is on. The
speed selector has five positions, REV2, REV1, OFF, FWD1, FWD2. I will
post a separate question about it.

Quite impressive! You need to quantify the wear, to see if it
can still do easy jobs, or if it must be rebuilt pretty much
immediately. I can give lots of advice in how to turn it into a
2-year project, if you are looking for such self-abuse, as I did
that on my 15" Sheldon lathe.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 18:07:45 -0500, Ignoramus24584
wrote:

Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

I see one photo with the key in the chuck. Now is a real good time to
get in the habit of *NEVER* *EVER* leaving the key in the chuck -- or
allowing anyone in your shop who would do that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

wrote:

Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

I just started working on it. The good news is that it seems to run
and switch speeds, power feeds etc.

The bad news is that it has considerable wear, as far as I could
tell. Also what I thought was a on/off/brake lever, does not seem to
switch anything so the lathe is on when the speed selector is on. The
speed selector has five positions, REV2, REV1, OFF, FWD1, FWD2. I will
post a separate question about it.

Pretty nice even if it has some wear. You moved
it on a caster skid? How did you get it onto the skid.

ED
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

I just started working on it. The good news is that it seems to run
and switch speeds, power feeds etc.

The bad news is that it has considerable wear, as far as I could
tell. Also what I thought was a on/off/brake lever, does not seem to
switch anything so the lathe is on when the speed selector is on. The
speed selector has five positions, REV2, REV1, OFF, FWD1, FWD2. I will
post a separate question about it.

Pretty nice even if it has some wear. You moved
it on a caster skid? How did you get it onto the skid.

Lifted one side, put on 2x4s, lifted another, put on 2x4, then went
back and lifted the first side some more, added 2x4s, etc until the
cart could be slid underneath.

Then I realized a "gaffe": though I made the cart shorter than the
lathe, so that I could be able to slide it underneath, I then added a
eyebolt to it that made it impossible to slide the cart in. So I had
to rearrange 2x4s a little.

For actual leverage, I used a big pry bar and also a Johnson bar
(essentially a giant pry bar on wheels). Johnson bar looks like this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/114/.../2750t5p1l.gif

Mine seems to be a McMaster item 2750T3, though there is no way of
telling by now, it is very old.

It was actually easy and the seller was slightly surprised.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

I see one photo with the key in the chuck. Now is a real good time to
get in the habit of *NEVER* *EVER* leaving the key in the chuck -- or
allowing anyone in your shop who would do that.

Taken out instantly after the picture was snapped. Good point.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-13, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus24584 wrote:
[...]

I will try to cut a round rod on it soon. I have a foot long 1.5" or
so steel rod.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24584 wrote:

For actual leverage, I used a big pry bar and also a Johnson bar
(essentially a giant pry bar on wheels). Johnson bar looks like this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/114/.../2750t5p1l.gif

Mine seems to be a McMaster item 2750T3, though there is no way of
telling by now, it is very old.

Every man wants to swing a 'big johnson'

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:54:38 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

wrote:

Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Egad. Think what would have happened if he'd had to stop quickly or do
any evasive actions!

Note 1 to Ig: I'd tie down the machine better next time. Your tiedown
would handily handle grandma's driving, but not any kind or emergency
action or even a very minor accident, such as climbing a curb at 10+
mph. At minimum, your roller skate would be out from under a
fallen/broken lathe. I always loop the side tiedowns around the body
to keep it from shifting from side to side, and I put at least one on
each end to keep it from shifting front to rear. Your tiedown method
would keep it from falling out of the trailer if it were held upside
down, but probably wouldn't keep it from shifting if Mr. Murphy showed
up.

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

I see one photo with the key in the chuck. Now is a real good time to
get in the habit of *NEVER* *EVER* leaving the key in the chuck -- or
allowing anyone in your shop who would do that.

Excellent idea, Don. I plopped a rare earth magnet onto the front of
my drill head and the chuck stays stuck to that unless I'm changing
bits. It's easy to mount/dismount and handy enough to remember to put
back up there. I believe I got the idea from someone else here on
Wreck.Metalheads. (Either here or the Wreck.)

Note 2 to Ig: That welding bumper sticker is funny, but if you ever
get into an accident (your fault or not) the other guy's attorney
might eat you for lunch because of it. In a jury trial, that sticker
could easily tip the case against you.

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
==================================
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

I see one photo with the key in the chuck. Now is a real good time to
get in the habit of *NEVER* *EVER* leaving the key in the chuck -- or
allowing anyone in your shop who would do that.

Indeed!!

Gunner, who has an odd sized large sized dent in the wall opposite the
Clausing 15x52 AND a smaller but equally odd sized dent in the wall
opposite the HLV-H......both of which are older than 5 yrs...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Egad. Think what would have happened if he'd had to stop quickly or do
any evasive actions!

Note 1 to Ig: I'd tie down the machine better next time. Your tiedown
would handily handle grandma's driving, but not any kind or emergency
action or even a very minor accident, such as climbing a curb at 10+
mph. At minimum, your roller skate would be out from under a

I do drive like a grand-grandma when I move such equipment.

fallen/broken lathe. I always loop the side tiedowns around the body
to keep it from shifting from side to side, and I put at least one on
each end to keep it from shifting front to rear. Your tiedown method
would keep it from falling out of the trailer if it were held upside
down, but probably wouldn't keep it from shifting if Mr. Murphy showed
up.

Well, the tiedowns, the way I used them, would fully prevent movement.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...rting-2764.jpg

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

I see one photo with the key in the chuck. Now is a real good time to
get in the habit of *NEVER* *EVER* leaving the key in the chuck -- or
allowing anyone in your shop who would do that.

Excellent idea, Don. I plopped a rare earth magnet onto the front of
my drill head and the chuck stays stuck to that unless I'm changing
bits. It's easy to mount/dismount and handy enough to remember to put
back up there. I believe I got the idea from someone else here on
Wreck.Metalheads. (Either here or the Wreck.)

Note 2 to Ig: That welding bumper sticker is funny, but if you ever
get into an accident (your fault or not) the other guy's attorney
might eat you for lunch because of it. In a jury trial, that sticker
could easily tip the case against you.

That would not be merely an accident, but an accident caused by
defects in my trailer. In this case the sticker would not make a big
difference.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:25:47 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus13075 quickly quoth:

wrote:

Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Egad. Think what would have happened if he'd had to stop quickly or do
any evasive actions!

Note 1 to Ig: I'd tie down the machine better next time. Your tiedown
would handily handle grandma's driving, but not any kind or emergency
action or even a very minor accident, such as climbing a curb at 10+
mph. At minimum, your roller skate would be out from under a

I do drive like a grand-grandma when I move such equipment.

Right, but some idiot in front of you might stop just when you're
halfway over the railroad tracks, or someone pulls out in front of
you, etc.

fallen/broken lathe. I always loop the side tiedowns around the body
to keep it from shifting from side to side, and I put at least one on
each end to keep it from shifting front to rear. Your tiedown method
would keep it from falling out of the trailer if it were held upside
down, but probably wouldn't keep it from shifting if Mr. Murphy showed
up.

Well, the tiedowns, the way I used them, would fully prevent movement.

I guess well have to agree to disagree there. You had nothing on the
lower 80% of the machine and a even a slow hit from a car on the side
would have rolled that thing over within the confines of the tiedowns,
with or without the skateboard under it, IMO. YMMV.

Note 2 to Ig: That welding bumper sticker is funny, but if you ever
get into an accident (your fault or not) the other guy's attorney
might eat you for lunch because of it. In a jury trial, that sticker
could easily tip the case against you.

That would not be merely an accident, but an accident caused by
defects in my trailer. In this case the sticker would not make a big
difference.

Whatever you say, Ig. I just don't put things like that on my vehicles
during this assinine and litigous era we live in. Moronic judges
allow cases into court which shouldn't be allowed and brainless juries
give humongous awards to people absolutely not fitting to receive
them. Why tempt fate, eh? sigh

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Ignoramus24584 wrote:

For actual leverage, I used a big pry bar and also a Johnson bar
(essentially a giant pry bar on wheels). Johnson bar looks like this:

http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/114/.../2750t5p1l.gif

Mine seems to be a McMaster item 2750T3, though there is no way of
telling by now, it is very old.

Every man wants to swing a 'big johnson'

Or a big Johnston.

http://mielofon.com/actress/kristen_johnston/10.shtml

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24584 wrote:
Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

Good to see that it's home safe. Getting the machine
home and in place without any broken thumbs or cast
iron is half the job.

I just started working on it. The good news is that it seems to run
and switch speeds, power feeds etc.

The bad news is that it has considerable wear, as far as I could
tell. Also what I thought was a on/off/brake lever, does not seem to
switch anything so the lathe is on when the speed selector is on. The
speed selector has five positions, REV2, REV1, OFF, FWD1, FWD2. I will
post a separate question about it.

You built a tig welder from scratch. You can
certainly figure out how to turn it on (:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-13, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:54:38 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

[ ... ]

I see one photo with the key in the chuck. Now is a real good time to
get in the habit of *NEVER* *EVER* leaving the key in the chuck -- or
allowing anyone in your shop who would do that.

Excellent idea, Don. I plopped a rare earth magnet onto the front of
my drill head and the chuck stays stuck to that unless I'm changing
bits. It's easy to mount/dismount and handy enough to remember to put
back up there. I believe I got the idea from someone else here on
Wreck.Metalheads. (Either here or the Wreck.)

Hmm ... a magnet will cause it to pick up chips if it ever gets
near the results of your drilling.

I have my key on a device related to the belt-hung spring key
chains. There is a loose strap around the key behind the crown gear,
and there is a spring around the pilot pin to push the key out as soon
as you let go of it.

That is still on the drill press -- even though I normally use
a Jacobs copy of the Albrecht keyless chucks so there is nothing to
produce problems anyway. :-)

Note 2 to Ig: That welding bumper sticker is funny, but if you ever
get into an accident (your fault or not) the other guy's attorney
might eat you for lunch because of it. In a jury trial, that sticker
could easily tip the case against you.

Especially if it is caused by a failure of a weld.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564