Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default PICTURES -- Lathe transport, cleanup etc (it runs)

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:54:38 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 18:07:45 -0500, Ignoramus24584
wrote:

Pictures of how I moved it (was not a big deal):

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Transporting/

Egad. Think what would have happened if he'd had to stop quickly or do
any evasive actions!

Note 1 to Ig: I'd tie down the machine better next time. Your tiedown
would handily handle grandma's driving, but not any kind or emergency
action or even a very minor accident, such as climbing a curb at 10+
mph. At minimum, your roller skate would be out from under a
fallen/broken lathe. I always loop the side tiedowns around the body
to keep it from shifting from side to side, and I put at least one on
each end to keep it from shifting front to rear. Your tiedown method
would keep it from falling out of the trailer if it were held upside
down, but probably wouldn't keep it from shifting if Mr. Murphy showed
up.

Pictures of initial cleanup and reassembly:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...nd-Reassembly/

I see one photo with the key in the chuck. Now is a real good time to
get in the habit of *NEVER* *EVER* leaving the key in the chuck -- or
allowing anyone in your shop who would do that.

Excellent idea, Don. I plopped a rare earth magnet onto the front of
my drill head and the chuck stays stuck to that unless I'm changing
bits. It's easy to mount/dismount and handy enough to remember to put
back up there. I believe I got the idea from someone else here on
Wreck.Metalheads. (Either here or the Wreck.)

Note 2 to Ig: That welding bumper sticker is funny, but if you ever
get into an accident (your fault or not) the other guy's attorney
might eat you for lunch because of it. In a jury trial, that sticker
could easily tip the case against you.

VIRTUE...is its own punishment