Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dial Indicator cleaning problem

I have a Mercer .002mm per division Dial Indicator which is sticky. I
want to remove the face so that I can fully clean the mechanism and
then lubricate both ends of all of the pivots. (I have watch oil). I
have made a "Hand Puller" but the hand does not shift. What am I doing
wrong? Any advice?

--

Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard Edwards wrote:
I have a Mercer .002mm per division Dial Indicator which is sticky. I
want to remove the face so that I can fully clean the mechanism and
then lubricate both ends of all of the pivots. (I have watch oil). I
have made a "Hand Puller" but the hand does not shift. What am I doing
wrong? Any advice?

--

Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!

You say you've made a "hand puller". What does it look like?

This is the kind of puller you should be using:

https://www.micro-tools.com/store/it...mCode=RM590345

You squeeze the sides and the white pieces press against the dial while
the inner claws pull out on the pointer's hub. The spring loaded center
piece keeps the pointer captured so it doesn't leap across the room and
hide under the last place you'd look when it pulls free from its shaft.

I've had one similar that for more years than I care to remember and
it's never failed me yet.

If you've got a friendly watchmaker near you, he might pull that pointer
for you if you brought the indicator to him.

Good luck,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 12:30:32 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Richard Edwards wrote:
[...]

Ok I did not realise that a puller should "push" on the face whilst it
"pulls" on the hand. My puller consists of two "L" shaped legs which
sit behind the hand whilst I apply a pull! Mind you I am applying a
fair pull and the hand is not budging.
I did buy a "proper" puller ("chink" manufacture), but it arrived
rusty and I was not impressed. It went back. That unit did not act as
a lever it just required a pull, as per my manufacture.

If you've got a friendly watchmaker near you, he might pull that pointer
for you if you brought the indicator to him.

Good option, however I may consider making a different puller.

Good luck,

Jeff

Thanks for your input.

--

Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-07, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Richard Edwards wrote:
I have a Mercer .002mm per division Dial Indicator which is sticky. I
want to remove the face so that I can fully clean the mechanism and
then lubricate both ends of all of the pivots. (I have watch oil). I
have made a "Hand Puller" but the hand does not shift. What am I doing
wrong? Any advice?

[ ... ]

This is the kind of puller you should be using:

https://www.micro-tools.com/store/it...mCode=RM590345

You squeeze the sides and the white pieces press against the dial while
the inner claws pull out on the pointer's hub. The spring loaded center
piece keeps the pointer captured so it doesn't leap across the room and
hide under the last place you'd look when it pulls free from its shaft.

I've got a similar one -- except that it has a turret with four
pins to press on the center pin while the hooks pull up.

I've also got one with some fancy linkage with has two jaws
which roll on the face to lever up the hand hub equally on each side.

Each is preferred at different times.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-07, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Richard Edwards wrote:

[...]

You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many tools. G

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Each is preferred at different times.

Enjoy,
DoN.

save dial indicator Karl Townsend Metalworking 10 June 9th 08 03:58 AM
Dial Indicator [email protected] Woodturning 4 June 1st 06 05:37 AM
Dial indicator Hitch Woodworking 16 June 14th 05 04:04 AM
dial indicator and point set Jack Gray Woodworking 10 March 24th 05 02:42 PM
Dial Indicator Ian Robinson Metalworking 4 May 15th 04 03:32 PM