Ian Robinson

Default Dial Indicator

I'm wanting a dial indicator for general use in a home workshop - setting up
in a small 3.5" lathe etc.

One I'm considering has a resolution of 0.01mm/0.0005" with an accuracy of
0.02mm, For twice the cost I can get 0.003mm accuracy but do I need it?

Ian

Anthony

"Ian Robinson" wrote in
:

I'm wanting a dial indicator for general use in a home workshop -
setting up in a small 3.5" lathe etc.

One I'm considering has a resolution of 0.01mm/0.0005" with an
accuracy of 0.02mm, For twice the cost I can get 0.003mm accuracy but
do I need it?

Ian

Ian,
You can only machine as good as you can measure
The more precise your measuring equipment, the more precise you can/will
attempt to machine. Get in a habit of this and you only increase your
skill.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Robin S.

"Anthony" wrote in message

Ian,
You can only machine as good as you can measure
The more precise your measuring equipment, the more precise you can/will
attempt to machine. Get in a habit of this and you only increase your
skill.

True, but he doesn't need the more accurate indicator. That product is
probably made for industry where *insignificant* error can result in tens of
thousands in penalties.

The standard .0005" made in China indicator will be fine. You'll probably
also want a 1" travel plunge indicator ( in .001" grads) for general work.
Very useful for accurately measuring distances.

Regards,

Robin

Anthony

"Robin S." wrote in
:

"Anthony" wrote in message

Ian,
You can only machine as good as you can measure
The more precise your measuring equipment, the more precise you
can/will attempt to machine. Get in a habit of this and you only
increase your skill.

True, but he doesn't need the more accurate indicator. That product is
probably made for industry where *insignificant* error can result in
tens of thousands in penalties.

Robin,
True, and i'll agree that is all that is really required for most general
work. I was simply suggesting that if the person has the ability to
purchase the higher resolution indicator, they might wish to go that
route. You can always machine more course than the indicator precision,
but you can't machine more precise than your measuring ability

The standard .0005" made in China indicator will be fine. You'll
probably also want a 1" travel plunge indicator ( in .001" grads) for
general work. Very useful for accurately measuring distances.

Very handy with a couple of different indicator bases on a lathe also,
for accurate length cuts. A 2" (50 mm) indicator is also very handy for
placement of grooves, and other machined features accurately along a
shaft.

--
Anthony

better idiots.