Sunworshiper

Default Help Sand & Dial Indicator

The wife's dog is out of control. Yesterday I went to the truck to
get a Sharpie and back to the shop and the tool I was just using was
gone. So I start searching beating my head against the walls tring to
figure out where I might have set it. It should have been right in
the open ! A little voice says its the dog and its out in the yard ,
but that can't be cause it should have been in the middle of the work
bench. Yep, in the yard... The dog must be standing up and grabbing
stuff , it must be watching what I'm doing even though it looks half
dead laying infront of the swap cooler.

It just happened again and this time took my only small dial indicator
and I found it all slobbered and in the durt ! I'm in the middle of
making a holder for it and was hoping to get it done and set up for
the next step of the job. Now I don't know what to do to clean it.
I'm afraid to touch it. Soft brush and then ahhh hold it the best way
in gas and then compressed air and hope for the best ?

Help , an answer soon would help. I have to go back to work tomorrow
and wanted to get farther on this project than at a dead stop.
Ian Stirling

Sunworshiper wrote:
The wife's dog is out of control. Yesterday I went to the truck to
get a Sharpie and back to the shop and the tool I was just using was
gone. So I start searching beating my head against the walls tring to

snip
bench. Yep, in the yard... The dog must be standing up and grabbing
stuff , it must be watching what I'm doing even though it looks half
dead laying infront of the swap cooler.

It just happened again and this time took my only small dial indicator
and I found it all slobbered and in the durt ! I'm in the middle of
making a holder for it and was hoping to get it done and set up for
the next step of the job. Now I don't know what to do to clean it.

I'm afraid to touch it. Soft brush and then ahhh hold it the best way
in gas and then compressed air and hope for the best ?

I can understand why you'r afraid to touch it.
But violence is never the right solution.
Perhaps find a local pound?

More seriously, it's probably the right thing to take it apart and
clean it, lubricating it with the appropriate lubricant.
Dog spit ain't it.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Get off a shot FAST, this upsets him long enough to let you make your
Sunworshiper

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:26:27 +0000 (UTC), Ian Stirling
wrote:

Sunworshiper wrote:
[...]

LOL no no the indicator is what I don't want to touch , as to grind in
more sand. There is a nice long durt road out where I shoot really
close to here that has been calling this dog for awhile now , but I
can't do that.

More seriously, it's probably the right thing to take it apart and
clean it, lubricating it with the appropriate lubricant.
Dog spit ain't it.

Take it apart ! So, I'm screwed , A ? That's what I figured.
I don't have tools that small , little alone small fingers.
steamer

--Getcher self a bottle of 4-alarm hot sauce and douse a few
sacrificial items on the table; that oughtta do the trick.
--A pal of mine lives next door to a coop of barky dogs and he's
fastened a solenoid valve from an old washing machine to a tree in his
backyard (one that allows a view of the barky dogs). When they start
barking he presses a button on his desk and it squirts them; very kewl.
:-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : California: "The crap magnet
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : in America's crankcase".
Bob May

Nice dead dog!
Actually, chain the dog so that he can't get into the shop is one thing.
Another is to keep the door closed to the shop, putting on a closer if
necessary.
Get a electric fence transformer and hook it up to the bench (metal top
please) and turn it on when you leave the shop AND remember to turn it off
when you arrive at the bench. Window screen on the floor (dual chore of
picking up swarf and grounding the dog) will quickly teach him about not
going to the table or other such locations. Even a small tool on the floor
will teach him to not do that sort of stuff.
If the dog really is persistant, then it is time to get rid of it.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less.

keith bowers

steamer wrote:

--Getcher self a bottle of 4-alarm hot sauce and douse a few
sacrificial items on the table; that oughtta do the trick.
--A pal of mine lives next door to a coop of barky dogs and he's
fastened a solenoid valve from an old washing machine to a

tree/hs1163md.html in his
backyard (one that allows a view of the barky dogs). When they start
barking he presses a button on his desk and it squirts them; very kewl.
:-)

Listening to Jerry Baker's garden show on Saturday morinings gives an idea.
Try http://www.firegirl.com/hs1163md.html. Look for their Mad Dog 357 sauce
(357,000 Scoville units); or if you wnat to get drastic I think they have
some 1,000,000 Scoville unit oil G.

--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC
Sunworshiper

wrote:

Sunworshiper wrote:
[...]

Its dead , not the dog , yet. My '95 MSC says a good $100.

Is there a better range than .05 ? The hinged type , hell I can't
read this stuff. I was just fine with the one I HAD. Hear I thought
it was .0005 not .005" ...

Any recommendations ? Guess I need a new one to continue...
The ones with one larger round end opposite might do for me .
The one that is ruined had a number of spots to hold on to , but I
never used them , yet.

Ian Stirling

wrote:

Sunworshiper wrote:
The wife's dog is out of control. Yesterday I went to the truck to
get a Sharpie and back to the shop and the tool I was just using was
gone. So I start searching beating my head against the walls tring to

snip

More seriously, it's probably the right thing to take it apart and
clean it, lubricating it with the appropriate lubricant.
Dog spit ain't it.

Take it apart ! So, I'm screwed , A ? That's what I figured.
I don't have tools that small , little alone small fingers.

Its dead , not the dog , yet. My '95 MSC says a good $100.

I'd try getting a set of small tools, and a magnifying glass.
A cheap set isn't much, and the worst thing that can heppen is that
you ruin it further.
At best, you've saved $100, and found out how to repair
dial indicators.

Is there a better range than .05 ? The hinged type , hell I can't
read this stuff. I was just fine with the one I HAD. Hear I thought
it was .0005 not .005" ...

Any recommendations ? Guess I need a new one to continue...
The ones with one larger round end opposite might do for me .
The one that is ruined had a number of spots to hold on to , but I
never used them , yet.

Well, you could always buy a set of small tools.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Two parrots sitting on a perch. One asks the other, "Can you smell fish?"
Ted Edwards

Ian Stirling wrote:

I'd try getting a set of small tools, and a magnifying glass.
A cheap set isn't much, and the worst thing that can heppen is that
you ruin it further.
At best, you've saved $100, and found out how to repair
dial indicators.

You might find a few helpful suggestions in
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...iles/DGAGE.TXT

Good luck!

Ted

jim rozen

In article , Sunworshiper says...

It just happened again and this time took my only small dial indicator
and I found it all slobbered and in the durt ! I'm in the middle of
making a holder for it and was hoping to get it done and set up for
the next step of the job. Now I don't know what to do to clean it.
I'm afraid to touch it. Soft brush and then ahhh hold it the best way
in gas and then compressed air and hope for the best ?

Also depends on what kind of indicator it is. Some of them
(like the starrett 196) actually come apart pretty easy and
can be cleaned that way. Others are not so easy - but
are a bit more dirt-proof. I would first off remove any
particulates from the plunger (if plunger type) and see
how sticky it has gotten.

The plunger-type on my lathe that I use for a carriage
travel depth indicator gets swarfed all the time and
never seems to mind it.

JIm

please reply to:

Eric R Snow

wrote:

Sunworshiper wrote:
[...]

I have repaired several types of indicators myself, without
directions, and it sure is faster the second time you do one. If you
would please post the brand and model perhaps it's one I can help you
with. Then maybe you can profit from my misteaks, er, mistakes.
Cheers,
Eric
Wayne Harris

I would dip the indicator into a container of safety solvent. (clear K-1
kerosene will work) lightly agitate and brush with a small paint brush until
you get all of the debris and gunk loose. Continue dipping and operate stoke
of the indicator and be sure to orient so the solvent will run out of the
points of entry.
After every thing is working smoothly blow out excess solvent with air
hose and lubricate with light oil. Starret has a lub they call M-1 spray for
precision tools, But WD-40 will work or I like the Liquid Wrench/with teflon.

wrote:

Sunworshiper wrote:
[...]

Sunworshiper

wrote:

Sunworshiper wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the offer , but its dead. I ordered a new one from MSC.
It was china junk , I took it apart , and got it for $10 at a swap
meet a good 7 years ago. It worked for my needs until the ahhh dog.
Maybe I was suppose to have a new one??? Naw, I need to take care of
the dog ... somehow.

Is my spelling getting to ya?

I went at cleaning it as best as I thought , but it must be bent and
never live again in my hands. Like intermittent problems and things
like splicing tape , getting apart tint film , and clocks.
Ted Edwards

Wayne Harris wrote:

After every thing is working smoothly blow out excess solvent with air
hose and lubricate with light oil. Starret has a lub they call M-1 spray for
precision tools, But WD-40 will work or I like the Liquid Wrench/with teflon.

In my experience 3-in-1 oil and WD-40 are quite unsatisfactory as
precision instrument lubes. Starrett M-1 or CRC 3-36 are much better.

Ted

jim rozen

In article , Sunworshiper says...

Is my spelling getting to ya?