Dale Randall

Default mitutoyo dial test indicator repair

Has anyone removed the lens & cover(bezel) from a Mitutoyo 513-118 test
indicator ? I have did the searches and found reference to several
repair postings but mine does not have any screws, holes or any obvious
ways of getting it apart. Thanks for any help and please don't tell me
to send it in for repairs as I got this in a junk box and don't need it
bad enough for expensive repairs. Thanks Dale

Eric R Snow

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:15:28 -0400, Dale Randall
wrote:

Has anyone removed the lens & cover(bezel) from a Mitutoyo 513-118 test
indicator ? I have did the searches and found reference to several
repair postings but mine does not have any screws, holes or any obvious
ways of getting it apart. Thanks for any help and please don't tell me
to send it in for repairs as I got this in a junk box and don't need it
bad enough for expensive repairs. Thanks Dale

I believe that the crystal (lens) on this indicator is removed with a
tool that makes the plastic crystal more convex with suction and then
the OD gets smaller and the crystal comes out of the bezel. A watch
repair place would have the right tool. Then, the hand is pulled with
a puller, the face lifted out and the screws which retain the bezel
will be seen. These screws actually fasten a central piece which holds
a bearing for the hand stem and traps the bezel so it can still be
rotated. It has been years since I opened one of these up so if I'm
wrong chalk it up to bad memory and don't follow my advice. BTW, a
watch repair place will probably only charge a buck or two, if at all,
to remove the crystal. Maybe it would be worth it to risk 5 bucks or
so and ask them to remove the crystal and hand. If I had the tools I'd
do it for free.
ERS