Hitch

Default Dial indicator

Got a bit of birthday money and one thing I'd like is a dial indicator.
Lee Valley has one for $32 for indicator AND magnetic base. They say it's
accurate to 0.0005". Is this really a good deal, or is $32 bucks US just
too cheap for reasonable quality? Maybe I should just buy more clamps from
LV and look elsewhere for a better dial indicator.

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Hitch wrote:
Got a bit of birthday money and one thing I'd like is a dial indicator.
Lee Valley has one for $32 for indicator AND magnetic base. They say it's
accurate to 0.0005". Is this really a good deal, or is $32 bucks US just
too cheap for reasonable quality? Maybe I should just buy more clamps from
LV and look elsewhere for a better dial indicator.

For $32 it is almost certainly made in India, Pakistan, China, or
Taiwan, and almost certainly more than adequate for typical
woodworking use, and priced about 100% more than comparable units from
other vendors. Try Grizzly or HFT, you should be able to find a
similar base & gauge for $15-$20. When you get up in the $100 range
you may be looking at a US or Japanese made indicator.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Patrick Conroy

Hitch wrote in
:

Got a bit of birthday money and one thing I'd like is a dial
indicator. Lee Valley has one for $32 for indicator AND magnetic
base. They say it's accurate to 0.0005". Is this really a good deal,
or is $32 bucks US just too cheap for reasonable quality? Maybe I
should just buy more clamps from LV and look elsewhere for a better
dial indicator.

I dunno - my Harbor Frieght one was about five bux USD...

I haven't used these folks - but www.littlemachineshop.com is often
mentioned / recommended as a place to get an inexpensive dial/base/tip
combination.

Rumpty

haven't used these folks - but www.littlemachineshop.com is often
mentioned / recommended as a place to get an inexpensive dial/base/tip
combination.

Theirs is just fine for the wood shop, especially the one with the "tip
collection".

--

Rumpty

"Patrick Conroy" wrote in message
news
Hitch wrote in
:

Got a bit of birthday money and one thing I'd like is a dial
indicator. Lee Valley has one for $32 for indicator AND magnetic
base. They say it's accurate to 0.0005". Is this really a good deal,
or is $32 bucks US just too cheap for reasonable quality? Maybe I
should just buy more clamps from LV and look elsewhere for a better
dial indicator.

I dunno - my Harbor Frieght one was about five bux USD...

I haven't used these folks - but www.littlemachineshop.com is often
mentioned / recommended as a place to get an inexpensive dial/base/tip
combination.

woodworker88

Try Mcmaster Carr, www.mcmaster.com. search on "dial indicator". They
have them ranging from $15-$150. You might be interested in the $30
indicator+magnetic base kit. Mcmaster sells only quality stuff,
nothing like the sh_t that HF sells. Don't be fooled by their
"economy" designation. These should be fine for anything other than a
hi-capacity production machine shop.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:19:01 -0500, Hitch wrote:

one thing I'd like is a dial indicator.

Cheap is OK on dial indicators. Make sure the magnetic base works
though - they tend to suffer worse from cheapness than the indicators
do. Poor clamping or lack of rigidity in the arm is a pain to work with.
I've never seen a "snake" arm that was convincing for rigidity either.

CW

"David" wrote in message
$30 bucks is about right for a dial indicator. It isn't too "cheap".
It's typical unless you look at Starrett.

Or Mititoyo, Teclock, Brown and Sharp, ect, ect.

Dave

Hitch wrote:

Got a bit of birthday money and one thing I'd like is a dial indicator.
Lee Valley has one for $32 for indicator AND magnetic base. They say

it's
accurate to 0.0005". Is this really a good deal, or is $32 bucks US

just
too cheap for reasonable quality? Maybe I should just buy more clamps

from
LV and look elsewhere for a better dial indicator.

Bill

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:07:10 +0000, Lawrence Wasserman wrote:
When you get up in the $100 range
you may be looking at a US or Japanese made indicator.

You are also looking at WAY more indicator than you need. It is enough to
get a .001 resolution and estimate any fraction needed. I have .0005
and .0001 indicators and they are just a joke when trying to line up the
table saw trunions because I don't have anything that smooth to measure
against or from.

Bill
David Bridgeman

I just bought that exact model for LV. Magnetic base definitely works.
Seems to be good quality (I new to dial indicators). I don't think I've
bought anything at LV that wasn't good quality and value.

David

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:19:01 -0500, Hitch wrote:

one thing I'd like is a dial indicator.

Cheap is OK on dial indicators. Make sure the magnetic base works
though - they tend to suffer worse from cheapness than the indicators
do. Poor clamping or lack of rigidity in the arm is a pain to work with.
I've never seen a "snake" arm that was convincing for rigidity either.

Upscale

"David Bridgeman" wrote in message
I just bought that exact model for LV. Magnetic base definitely works.
Seems to be good quality (I new to dial indicators). I don't think I've
bought anything at LV that wasn't good quality and value.

Worst case scenario, if it doesn't work out within reasonable time use LV
will take it back.

Hitch wrote:
Got a bit of birthday money and one thing I'd like is a dial indicator.
Lee Valley has one for $32 for indicator AND magnetic base. They say it's
accurate to 0.0005". Is this really a good deal, or is $32 bucks US just
too cheap for reasonable quality? Maybe I should just buy more clamps from
LV and look elsewhere for a better dial indicator.

I believe there's a factory in China that turns out shiploads of these
indicators. I've seen basically the same one sold by several vendors.
I don't have the Lee Valley version, but I've seen it in their store,
and it's better than or equal to any of the other no-name Chinese
indicators you'll find.

I've had one for years, and while I doubt it would last day-in and
day-out in a production machine shop, it's worked just fine for all the
machine alignment and testing I've done.

Have fun,

Tim

Jim Weisgram

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:19:01 -0500, Hitch wrote:

Got a bit of birthday money and one thing I'd like is a dial indicator.
Lee Valley has one for $32 for indicator AND magnetic base. They say it's
accurate to 0.0005". Is this really a good deal, or is $32 bucks US just
too cheap for reasonable quality? Maybe I should just buy more clamps from
LV and look elsewhere for a better dial indicator.

Got mine from somewhere like Highland Hardware. It displays both
decimal and fractions of an inch. Ya gotta like that.

Guess who

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:39:25 GMT, Jim Weisgram
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:19:01 -0500, Hitch wrote:

Got a bit of birthday money and one thing I'd like is a dial indicator.
Lee Valley has one for $32 for indicator AND magnetic base. They say it's
accurate to 0.0005". Is this really a good deal, or is $32 bucks US just
too cheap for reasonable quality? Maybe I should just buy more clamps from
LV and look elsewhere for a better dial indicator.

Got mine from somewhere like Highland Hardware. It displays both
decimal and fractions of an inch. Ya gotta like that.

Mine's from an old physics lab I used to work in. It measures in
microns. I could use the binocular microscope I borrow now and then,
with a bit of interpolation for even more accuracy, but decided enuf
is enuf.

Bruce T

If you only need accuracy to 0.001", try
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1593.
Half the accuracy for half the price.

wrote in message
ups.com...