Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default save dial indicator

I needed a dial indicator where it got splashed with coolant for a few days.

Now its all sticky and the needle won't return. Can you take one of these
apart for cleaning, or do you get a pile o' parts? What would you spritz on
the inners to remove coolant residue?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I needed a dial indicator where it got splashed with coolant for a few
days.

Now its all sticky and the needle won't return. Can you take one of these
apart for cleaning, or do you get a pile o' parts? What would you spritz
on the inners to remove coolant residue?

Karl

When I worked in the shop we would blast 'em with WD40. If that did not do
it either toss 'em or if worth keeping, send 'em somewhere for rebuild. You
should be able to unscrew the back to see the innards, depending on the
type.
If water based coolant even a dip in warm water, followed by some WD40
probably would not hurt it any more than what damage is done already.
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I needed a dial indicator where it got splashed with coolant for a few days.

Now its all sticky and the needle won't return. Can you take one of these
apart for cleaning, or do you get a pile o' parts? What would you spritz on
the inners to remove coolant residue?

Karl

I've got a box of funky indicators. Some repairs have attempted, some
successfully. I've sent good ones out. Once one sticks and ruins a part it
goes in the box. I wonder who will throw them away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I haven't tried it, but this sounds like an excellent job for an ultrasonic
cleaner. Just add a bit of dish soap to the bath, and it should scrub the

Now there's something I wouldn't have thought of. I'll put it in my cleaner
and give it a try.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 6, 6:23*pm, nick hull wrote:
In article ,
*"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Basically what you'll find inside is a very fine-thread rack and pinion. *You
might be successful in
cleaning the pair with something or other, but all traces of residue should
be removed before
closing it up again. *Now is you had some very good quality instrument oil,
(Starret ?) you might
try it. *Otherwise, leave it clean and dry.

For cleaning stuff and leaving NO residue try alcohol, preferably 90%,
followed by acetone followed by Xylene which takes out all acetone and
leaves no residue. *Followed by proper lube of course.

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Some of the dails have white paint that dissolves in alcohol and
acetone.
Test in a corner before you dunk it. Regards, Charlie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good gracious! (or other phrase, as suits you) Do not use dish-soap, unless
you want the springs to rust away to nothingness.

Open the back, do not fiddle with anything else, and spray a little bit of
electronic contact cleaner on the rod, inside and outside the case. That
should free it up enough without further work, unless you have left it
underwater for a half a day or so. Then a drop (one) of light oil on the
operating rod, and let it run down inside the rod-guide. move the rod in and
out a few times, and you should have it.

If that doesn't do all you expect, remove the bezel and crystal, and the
hand(s) merely pop off their spindle(s), releasing the face . THEN, you may
dunk and spritz in your favorite solvent. (Carb-cleaner spray, from
AdvanceAuto parts store works pretty good). Then just a tiny touch of watch
and clock oil on each bearing, a bit of oil on the operating rod,
reassemble.

No point in total disassembly of the unit, unless you are prepared to chase
little parts and springs. In that case, remember function follows form. If
you do choose to do a complete strip and wash, remember carefully what went
where. And HOW. Some of those little devils with multiple hands and
long-travel are tricky.

Good luck.

Flash

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

I haven't tried it, but this sounds like an excellent job for an
ultrasonic
cleaner. Just add a bit of dish soap to the bath, and it should scrub
the

Now there's something I wouldn't have thought of. I'll put it in my
cleaner and give it a try.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Karl,

Cut open that funny little bent piece of tubing so's the ultrasons can get
in and clean it up
inside.

i didn't bother. just took back off and dropped it in. Set it on top of SO's
oven to dry. A little dab of oil here and there. Werks lik knew!

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-06, Robert Swinney wrote:
Karl,
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

I haven't tried it, but this sounds like an excellent job for an ultrasonic
cleaner. Just add a bit of dish soap to the bath, and it should scrub the

Now there's something I wouldn't have thought of. I'll put it in my cleaner
and give it a try.

Cut open that funny little bent piece of tubing so's the ultrasons can
get in and clean it up inside.

It sounds as though you are thinking of a pressure gauge, not a
dial indicator.

I've cleaned sticky dial indicators with acetone or similar
things (Freon TF back when it was available) avoid getting the acetone
on the dial face or the crystal, and then re-lube with watch oil or
Starrett M1 instrument oil.

But usually -- the problem area is the bearings for the push rod
where they enter the case, not other parts of the indicator.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I needed a dial indicator where it got splashed with coolant for a few days.

Now its all sticky and the needle won't return. Can you take one of these
apart for cleaning, or do you get a pile o' parts? What would you spritz on
the inners to remove coolant residue?

Usually the back come off very easily and gives access to most
of the works without risk of "all the springs flying out".
Then you can apply cleaning slovents and lubes where it appears
needed.

Jon

Dial Indicator [email protected] Woodturning 4 June 1st 06 05:37 AM
special dial indicator Karl Townsend Metalworking 8 March 22nd 06 09:26 PM
Dial indicator Hitch Woodworking 16 June 14th 05 04:04 AM
Peacock Dial Indicator [email protected] Metalworking 3 December 23rd 04 03:21 AM
Dial Indicator Ian Robinson Metalworking 4 May 15th 04 03:32 PM